Dvd-rw crashing my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recentely installed a memorex dvd-rw into my machine. All hell broken loose when I did. I believe I first had the ide cables set up improperly at first as winXP didn't detect both drives(it has a lite on 52 x 32 x 52 in it already), it only saw the old drive.

I took it apart, redid cables. correctely this time. I get into windows and try to read a disc from memorex, and the computer crashes. Upon resetting it started to crash right after the windows loading screen, It does everything as if it is going to boot up normally but right after the loading screen that is right before it jumps to the desktop, the screen just turns back.

I tried every possible configuration as far as which drive was master or slave, or both independantly and the only way now that will let my computer boot up normally is if I don't plug EITHER of them in. So now I'm stuck without any sort of cd-rom drive :dead: It will boot up nicely in safemode however :rolleyes:

I've tried:

deleting the cd-rom drivers under device manager

plugging each in individually, and every order as far as slave/master

reinstalling drivers with disc

thats all I could think of

Any help would be greatly appreciated

DVD drives can be quirky...un-plug both drives and do a few clean boots without them.
Then hook up the DVD; jumpered as master ;on the end of the cable that goes to IDE2 and re-boot. Instead of using the drivers it came with let XP choose them.
Then check in Control Panel / System / Device manager to see how it is listed..if all looks well don't use the native drivers. Test the unit with a known good DVD and again if all is well shut down.
Repeat the process with the CDRom jumpered as slave on the middle cable position on IDE2. Follow the steps above and it should work.

patio. :cool:

I've tried plugging, unplugging, rebooting with every possible configuration. The only thing that allows the computer to reboot is starting it no cd-dvd drives on

It might be helpful to know your full system specifications. For example, if you have an Ultra ATA hard drive, you should have a 40 pin/ 80 wire IDE cable. If you have that cable, you could try the cable select jumper position. I'm not saying that would necessarily fix your problem but it would be another thing to try.

Speaking of hard drives how many do you have? If they are not SATA HDs, have you tried putting one of the optical drives as slave to your hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back