TechSpot

DVD+RW Drive not reading discs in Windows 7

By Flash19
May 8, 2009
  1. Hi guys, I installed the first RC of windows 7 today and all seemed fine until now. My DVD drive can't seem to read any discs. When I click My Computer it shows the right icon and name/size, but if I try to click through it crashes and Windows becomes unresponsive. Eventually it will show me a list of files on the disc but if I click any of them it crashes again, then gives me an error saying "Target drive not found correctly." The drive is a Sony Optiarc AD7201S, which works fine (mostly) in XP. I tried downloading a firmware update, but when I run the executable it freezes and can't find any drives. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

Remember it still isn't a retail release, so there are still going to be problems.

I would suggest deleting the drive in device manager, and perhaps checking if there are any updated drivers for the sata controller/motherboard chipset.

3. Flash19

Flash19 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 36

Thanks, I read somewhere else that my chipset (nforce 630a) has proved troublesome with optical drives for other people too. I also tried it with another drive and the same problems occur.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.