DVD+RW Drive not reading discs in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash19

Hi guys, I installed the first RC of windows 7 today and all seemed fine until now. My DVD drive can't seem to read any discs. When I click My Computer it shows the right icon and name/size, but if I try to click through it crashes and Windows becomes unresponsive. Eventually it will show me a list of files on the disc but if I click any of them it crashes again, then gives me an error saying "Target drive not found correctly." The drive is a Sony Optiarc AD7201S, which works fine (mostly) in XP. I tried downloading a firmware update, but when I run the executable it freezes and can't find any drives. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Remember it still isn't a retail release, so there are still going to be problems.

I would suggest deleting the drive in device manager, and perhaps checking if there are any updated drivers for the sata controller/motherboard chipset.

Thanks, I read somewhere else that my chipset (nforce 630a) has proved troublesome with optical drives for other people too. I also tried it with another drive and the same problems occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back