TechSpot

DVD RW not recognized in my computer

By msbionik
Mar 17, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First of all, I am new to the board so I hope I am in the right place. Apologies if not...

In my computer, my so-called DVD+RW, which is supposed to be double or triple layer (not sure, and that's what the useless tech support said) shows up as DVD-RAM. My other laptop recognizes the drive as a CD+RW. BTW, it is an internal dvd drive.

Can anyone tell me please if there is a difference between a DVD RAM and DVD RW?

I understand that RW means re-writeable but when I called tech support for
    my brand new (got it in December) Toshiba Satellite A105-S4334, they said I would still be able to burn DVDs. I just want to make sure that it is right. I am running Windows XP Media Center.

My burner in device manager says it's a Mat****a DVD-RAM/CD ROM. They also had me uninstall/reinstall the drive and the secondary IDe channel. I was able to record a music disc but I haven't tried a DVD yet.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Advice?

Thanks!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.