DVD-RW player reads as a CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I try to record to my DVD-RW disk, is says that DVD is not blank. When I go to MY COMPUTER and look at the DVD drive, it says that is a CD. When I look at the properties, it always says the so-called CD is full. I tried formating and using different brand of DVD-RW but it says the same thing. What ever DVD program I sue it always says disk is not blank.
Any clue what is going on?

ditto

I don't know why, but i have the same issue with my new laptop. I even tried with a burning program, and it said the dvd was unformatted. My computer doesnt even recognize that there is a dvd in the drive.

Dvd movies play just fine too.

ditto 2

Ps.

Since im upgrading my motherboard in the very near future, a Geforce 7800 would be very nice to start with :)

Not sure if this is the same problem you are having, but I will tell you anyway.

I bought a DVD-DL writer and it always came up as a CD drive instead of a DVD drive. Then I descided to un-install Nero as I had already gotten a new burning program with the DVD DL writer. This fixed all the problem and my PC recognised it as a DVD DL witer. The version of Nero (5.5) I had been using was outdated and was only meant for CD's.

In other words un-install all old burning program and see if it works then. Rather use the DVD burning software that your drive came with.

If that does not help and they always show up as cd's then you drive may be going off. I suggest taking it to a pc-support place and let them look at it.

Yes, anytime I place a blank dvd in my drive it dvdrw drive in my computer changes to cd drive, but that isn't a problem. Anyway I had a similar problem try getting a new version of nero.

I've tried reloading Nero, as well as 3 different other burning programs, including the software that came with my vaio.

The dvd's are +rw, and ive tried DVD -R too.

Shell detection is on automatic, checked that too.
DVD's play that's it. Going to try a dvd -rw once i get off work to go buy some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back