DVD RW Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malik17

Im sure you all read loads of these. I have a HP DVD/CD RW 300c, its stopped reading DVDs. I cant manually run them either, but it still runs cds fine. Is there anyway to fix this. I have tried unplugging it from inside the computer, and reinstalling it.

Anyone have any other ideas. Ideally id like to fix it, rather than buy a new one (yeah i know they arent very expensive). Dont really wanna do a full system restore either.

Did it suddenly stop all by itself? Or has it been reading them sometimes and not others? Have you installed any software recently that may have caused this?

Unfortunately the dvd portion isn't as easy to check outside of Windows, unless you have 2 optical drives, because there aren't too many bootable dvds yet, although I suppose you could make one yourself.

So you have 3 options:
* Test the drive outside of Windows (bootable dvd, boot off other drive with a live linux cd and try a dvd inside linux)
* Test the drive in another machine
* Buy a new one

no, it doesnt read at all.

No software no. Ive read dvd/cd burning software can cause it, but i havent installed any such software.

Don't have another machine. Hopefully (yet pessimistically) ill cross my fingers and hope someone else might have experienced the problem before and/or found the solution to it.

Thanks for your help.

No 2nd optical drive? If you do you really need a live linux distribution, they are very useful for all sorts of computer problems. And you can probably download while you are waiting for someone else to respond with the same thing I already did :)

SNGX1275, not entirely sure what an optical drive it. if you have any sort of messenger system, maybe u can contact me and help me: random_malik @hotmail.com for msn or MiSeRaBlEh for aim.

sghiznaneck, what do u mean by dvd software.

Optical drive is cd or dvd drive, do you have a 2nd cd/dvd drive in the computer. Do you even understand why it would be beneficial based on what I've said? If you can boot into an environment outside of Windows it narrows problems down to a hardware issue. Since your drive still reads cds its not a controller or IDE ribbon issue, the only thing it can be is a defective drive or a software issue. Getting outside of Windows eliminates a software issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back