DVD RW won't play CD or DVD (Liteon SHW-160P6S04)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have been very frustrated with my Liteon SHW-160P6SO4 DVD RW. I have followed all of the instructions perfectly, and the unit will not read or play any CD or DVD, no matter what I've tried to configure it. My computer is an HP Pavillion 733n, which works really well for every other application I've ever used. Here is a list of the actions I've taken, none of which have worked:

- Set the Seconday IDE to "Master" for the new DVD RW & Set my existing CD RW to "Slave". CD RW still works fine, but nothing works on the DVD RW. The DVD RW appears to recognize the CD or DVD (Eg: IT shows the movie title or CD Title with song lists), but can not play anything on any media player. Sometimes I get this error: "Windows Media Player can not play the CD. The disk might be dirty or damaged, or the drive may be malfunctioning". The CD/DVDs are fine. They play perfectly when I remove this RW and put my old DVD ROM back in.

- Set the secondary IDE to "Master" for the new DVD RW and set the PRIMARY IDE to "slave" for the CD RW. Same problems.

- Set the Secondary IDE to "Master" and unhooked the CD RW entirely. Nothing works.

- I've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them. No change.

- I've run PC Doctor, but the test result is "can not run"

- I've tried all of the online help that there is, including live chat with HP, which was no help.

- I've gone to Liteon's web site to download additional firmware for this product, but the flash fails.

- I've send the product back to liteon for a replacement, and I have the same problems with the new unit.

Any ideas? Do I need to just trash this unit and buy a different brand that might work better? Thanks for any advice!!

Have you tried a different IDE cable? Its pretty odd that 2 drives would be bad. Are you able to boot off a disk in that drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back