DVD softwares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roderick

Browsed thru and couldn't find anything related to my problem so here goes...

I just built my 1st system with only 2 HDs, a Samsung dvd/cdrw player, a floppy, a video and sound card, running w2k, nothing too fancy. PowerDVD 5.5 came with the player. I installed it 1st since I've heard a lot of good things about PowerDVD. But when I tried to even start the program, I get the generic pop up error saying that PowerDVD has generated an error, shut down by windows, and the program needs to be restarted. I checked in the event viewer and there were Event ID: 83, the message is "Port A is down". Source is EL2000. I couldn't find anywhere, may be I didn't look in the right place, about EL2000 for any file or folder with that name.

I then uninstalled PowerDVD and installed WinDVD that came with the mobo package. WinDVD works mostly fine except that it wouldn't resume PLAY after PAUSE. I would have to either FAST FORWARD or REVERSE, then PLAY for the program to successfully resume playback. If I don't do so, the program would jerkily play/stop/play/stop until I do something. The player would play/burn audio/data discs with no problems. In short, PowerDVD wouldn't work, with WinDVD works with an annoyance.

As I've said, this is my 1st build. I'm pretty good with the hardware stuff. My 1st box was a cow pc p3 running 98se and I tinkered around with it by tripling the memory, installing PCI devices, etc...This new machine was a clean w2k install, meaning I didn't install it on top of an existing 98 partition. I don't think it matters in regard to my video problems but I wouldn't be surprise if someone give me a Homer Simpson moment. Thanx in advance for any ideas.

I have a 3com gigabit adapter, and there are some EL2000 files in a 3Com folder. My pc sometimes restarts by itself and I found this in the event viewer.
Have no viruses... Have you played with the services that start automatically with windows xp before you had the problem?

Regards, Alex

Just leave one of them installed... download Windows Media Player 9 and use that... problem solved ;]

What Service Pack? I ask this cause you just built these, and its possible that you may have overlooked this. 2k originally wasn't designed to be playing DVDs on.

Cause for your troubles may be bug in OS

Are you trying to play your DVD with a sound card passing AC-3 out the SPDIF port to your A/V Receiver to decode the 5.1 signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back