DVD stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GRA-4120B installed in my Dell Dimension 8300 which recently stopped working. I also have a Samsung DVD-ROM as well , which seems to be working fine. The tray door still opens, the green lite goes on, I install a disk, the door closes and the lite goes out and stays out. The drive is still visible in "My Computer" etc., it reads the device is working properly, but it will not recognize any type of disk. so far I have uninstalled an re-installed the driver to no avail. Is it possible the unit is shot? I only have it about 1 1/2 yrs. but have burned a lot of DVDs. I have also run the Diagnostic program and the Dell troubleshooter which didn't show a problem and didn't help. I'm pretty much a novice with this stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Rick

Check to see if it's still under warranty. I had a DVD drive in a Dell 8300 and they sent me a brand new NEC burner that works great.

it could be that the drive has gone bad. or it could be a widnows problem. instead of uninstalling the drive try uninstalling the IDe channel the drive is on and reboot. windows will reinstall the ide channel and the drive automatically on boot up.

Sure could use a little instuction on how to uninstall the IDE channel for the dvd. Like I said, I can find my way around the PC, but I sure would hate to do something wrong in trying that. Thanks for the help, iss.

you will find the IDe channels in device manager under "IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers" simply right click on the IDE channel the drive is on and choose Uninstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back