DVD won't burn, likely OS related

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaghetto

Hi,

I have this strange problem and thought I would try asking for help on this forum. I have been googling for hours but cannot find any solution.

-My DVD drive has suddenly stopped burning. Nero does not see it anymore, always telling me the drive is not ready.
I have uninstalled Nero and installed a newer version to no avail.

I had concluded that the burner was cooked, so I took the one from my gf's computer and put it in mine : SAME PROBLEM !
When I try to burn using XP's drag and drop method, I also get a "there is no disk in drive" message.
So the problem appears to be OS related, or possibly elsewhere in hardware.

-No problem shows up in the device manager, either with my dvd burner or my gf's.
-I can read cd's and dvd's fine : only burning (cd AND dvd) is disabled.

-I have not fiddled with the drive's configuration lately.
-I have dealt with an autoconfig virus lately : the drive was fine before (so it might be related)

I'd appreciate any suggestion for a solution.

thanks in advance.

UPDATE :
Tried installing Cheetah DVD Burner. It gives me an error message saying there is no CD/DVD hardware detected.
So the problem is definitely not software related.

!!! SOLVED !!!

So it was a !@#)%*# virus.

-Somehow, AVG and MalwareBytes hadn't been able to find it.
Today, I scanned again with Spybot and Ad-Aware, and Spybot found the culprit. After cleaning it and restarting, I'm able to burn DVDs again !!!

The virus was Win32TDSS.rtk.
And it appeared as the following files :
c:\windows\system32\gxvxccounter
c:\windows\system32\gxvxcrvaswrhnidlwxqxnsxsirsnkomufrqfo.sys
c:\windows\system32\gxvxceptnkvxhkltrwywwobcylqeerbtijmey.dll

I don't know if the bugger is designed to screw up burning or if it's incidental. But, when a friend suggested it could be the action action of a virus, I decided to run these additional scans. (I'd read before that no virus affected burning. I guess that was wrong info...)

Anyways, maybe you guys will want to leave this thread on here, hoping it can be useful to others.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back