DVD writer going missing in My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake-the-peg

Problem with my DVD writer going missing in My Computer after a period of time, and as a consequent the Drive loses functionality. The problem started after my computer had returned from repairs and discovered that the DVD writer has been made the master on the IDE connection and the DVD Rom as the slave on the secondary IDE connection. I swapped the connection around, DVD Rom as master and DVD writer as slave for my preference and had to change the drive letters accordingly in the Computer management. Both of these devices are recognised in the BOIS and also appears in My Computer in that order "D" for DVD Rom & "E" for the DVD writer. However, when the computer has been sitting there for less than an hour, the DVD writer "E" disappears from My Computer and also from the DVD/CD-Rom drives in the Device Manager, and the Writer then fails to function, the DVD Rom "D" is always unaffected. If I then reboot the computer the DVD Writer "E" is again recognised and functions ok for a while, then back to square one, when it disappears again, then I have to repeat the process. I have tried to go into the Registry "Regedt32" to try the suggested cure, by deleting the values in the Lower & Upper Filters in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Control etc, but there are no signs of the Lower & Upper Filters on my system. I have tried Device un-install & also Windows Repair Re-install, but no joy. Can anyone suggest how I can resolve this situation and to stop the DVD Writer "E" from it's temporary disappearances? snapshot of Registry attached. P4 Computer & Windows XP SP2, PLEXTOR DVD-Rom PX-116A3 ("D") LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P ("E").

Spyware can cause problems with devices. I've seen this many times. Try the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware
All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back