DVD writer not recognised after restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alster37

hi!
my new dvd writer is mot recognised after boot. if i pug in the sata cable connected to it whilst the pc is on it is recognised and works fine.
however once i restart my pc it is not recognised until i replug the sata cable in.
I have all my computer fully up to date and the firmware for the dvd writer.
whats wrong and how do i fix it?

Umm....

just so it;s clear.. you're stating:
Case 1
Plug removed
Power/Bootup
Plug insert
Works

Case 2
Plug inserted
Power/Bootup
Doesn't work
Plug remove................<----- And here you do not need to reboot, right?
Plug Insert....................<----------Just unplug and replug to work?
Works

yes thats correct sorry if it was confusing so do you have a suggestion on how to fix it?

How old is the optical drive with the problem.
If heavily used, it can fail in as little as six or seven months.
We now list optical drives as the number one failure problem in our shops. They are mostly machine made, with assistance from people to set screws and apply goop that keeps things from slipping out of alignment.
You might try changing the SATA cables as they are notoriously unreliable unless the very highest quality.
You might also consider checking your computer site or the driver site for firmware updates... seems like they all have at least one update nowadays.
But otherwise, replacing the drive is simple and cheaper than any other method of getting back up to speed.

It might simply be hardware faulty but let;s try a few things out see if we find anything useful

Start per Case #2 (inserted, boot up)

1. At bootup, no sign of life in the CD right?
  2. If you open Explorer (look for drive, don't click on it) Is the drive just missing? Or is it listed?
  3. Open Device Manager (Start->Run, enter devmgmt.msc)
  4. Find the CD device. Rt click Properties. Tell me Device Status?
  5. In the menu bar (top of DevMgr) Click Action->Scan for Hardware changes
  6. Dothe DevMgr devices refresh (sorta kinda flicker off, the back on)?
  7. Any sign of life from the drive?
  8. Rt click on the device, Uninstall
  9. Reboot your machine (it will be reinstalled on reboot). Is it dead or alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back