DVD writer problem

alanem

Hello My old and faithful Lite-on HW1673s cd/dvd writer tells me to "insert blank disc" It used to be occaisionally and I simply put in a different disc but now its all the time regardless of disc quality or type. If it is goosed can anybody tell me a generic replacement or can I just get any one that sounds good on Amazon? Alan

All one has to do to replace cd/dvd writer is unplug the old one and plug the new one in it should not matter the brand or anything and unless u are using Windows 98 u shoud not need any software.

That model is a PATA/IDE drive. So if you don't have any free SATA ports (google what this is if you don't know, look at pictures, then at your motherboard) you will have to buy a PATA/IDE one as a replacement (not a SATA). Other than that, any you find that are DVD Burners should work fine. You shouldn't spend more than $25 for one, less than $20 should be do-able.

I suspected that any old drive would work (except for lightscribe drivers), however I have a neurosis that organizations who need to save their misleadingly high edges may place snares in the code that say...

I think a large portion of the Mac fittings is a cut above and surely worth a higher cost... yet regarding the matter of memory, Hdds, and optical drives... they're not doing anything diverse, so I'm not restless to pay additional.

Much appreciated!

Hello My old and faithful Lite-on HW1673s cd/dvd writer tells me to "insert blank disc" It used to be occaisionally and I simply put in a different disc but now its all the time regardless of disc quality or type. If it is goosed can anybody tell me a generic replacement or can I just get any one that sounds good on Amazon? Alan
if you have problem looking for a pata dvd writer, perhaps it's better to just buy a usb dvd writer similar to this one (available in the Philippines at about 35-40$ equivalent).
usb dvd writers are more expensive and writes up to 8x speed. see or browse the product available in your preferred store for the exact specifications.

The 'old' style IDE drives are still available, there should be some good buys around as 'new old stock'. The newer SATA connector drives are more common, but PC builders are tending to not use these drives anymore, as cloud storage becomes more effective.
With optical drives I found they tend to be good for 5 years or so then the laser gets weak and unreliable. Saying that, I use CD and DVD's often, most reliable drives I have are LG multi-disc and an old NEC which is still perfect after 10 years use. If you do buy one check that it is both CD & DVD writer as some are read DVD but not write, aka 'Combi' drives.
You could go the USB DVD route, but note that they can/will be slower than an internal drive.

Back