DVDRW/CDRW 'v' DVDRW Whats the difference between the read and write speeds???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, a real basic question. I am looking at buying a new machine and have a choice of DVDRW/CDRW or DVDRW. The CD write and read speed (16 and 24) appears alot quicker than the DVD write and read speed (4 and 8). Is this a true comparison i.e. the CD reads 4 times quicker than the DVD or am I missing something. Will be using the laptop for a lot of CD reading for itunes and this is an important factor in my decision. All guidance appreciated. Cheers.

On a side note anyone know what the differance is between these two graphics chipsets?? i.e. which is better or are they pretty much the same

Gaphics chipset - Intel 855GM NVIDIA Ge Force FX go 5200
Mem Size - 64mb 64mb
Mem type - Shared Dedicated

Personally i would opt for the DVDRW/CDRW combo drive as it will give you the most burning options for backing up data/music.
If you are going to have an empty bay i would get a plain old CDR to play music on as they are dirt cheap now.
Reason being is burners run a lot hotter and i only use them strictly for burn projects.They will play your music fine but why subject them to the wear if not needed. After all their not as cheap to replace. My CDR is 54x and about 4 years old and still ticking. I found out the hard way about wearing out a burner.

patio. :cool:

thanks, my existing CDRW on my pc is x48, so does that mean (sorry for being stupid) that the DVDRW reads and writes alot slower than my existing CDRW and presumably when the DVDRW is reading the cd to transfer to the hd it does it a lot slower?

The reason there is such an apparent discrepancy in read speeds is that dvd's contain much more data per area. So reading a dvd at 2x is reading more data than a cd at 8x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back