DVD's in HD on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesPromIII

How can I tell if my DVD's are coming in at 1080, I have a monitor that supports it. I have it plugged into DVI and i'm playing with windows media player.

My graphics card is a 9600GT and I know it has HDCP.

DVDs aren't in 1080 so no, your DVDs are not in 1080. If you are watching it fullscreen then you are upscaling it to 1080 - but in order to get real 1080 movies from a disc you're going to have to go with Bluray or find some old HD-DVDs and a capable drive.

Up-converting DVD players can be had for cheap these days. I bought mine 2 yrs ago for $30 at Walmart. Try that, if you cannot go the Blu-ray route i.e...

Ok, I'm really confused. I have a new monitor and all my games come in 1080 but my dvds don't? So your saying I have to buy a blu-ray player to watch DVD's in 1080?

Ok, I'm really confused. I have a new monitor and all my games come in 1080 but my dvds don't? So your saying I have to buy a blu-ray player to watch DVD's in 1080?

If your watching them on your screen with media player in full screen its being upscaled to match your resolution. All DVDs are in a Standard Definition or 480x720 (I think, if not around there) no matter what you do to that DVD it will never be 1080p. To watch a movie at that resolution you need a Bluray Disc and a Bluray player and a screen that supports 1080p with HDCP. This may be a little complicated but its really not. If you put your DVD in a Bluray player it will be played in full screen mode but its merely being upscaled as LNC already stated. So as things stand if your watching your DVDs in full screen your fine, it wont get any better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back