DVD's that I burn will not read on my computer, but will on other computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Tech spot, I seem to have a popular problem in that DVD's that I burn will not be read by my drive anymore.
I have an ASUS A6U laptop with a TSST TS L532A CD/DVDW
drive
In the past I have had no problems with burning data DVD's but have encountered a problem, ASUS have been no help either.
I have not changed media, but I can no longer read Data DVD's that I burn but they can be read on other computers? All other disks that I burnt before this problem arose will still read no problems.
When the Drive contains the new disks it sometimes comes up as being a cdrom

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am having no luck in sorting this out.

are these RW disks or R's? it could be that the DVD laser has failed on your drive.

They are DVDR's. My drive will play old stuff I have burnt still fine. I was scanning through some microsoft stuff and they said it could be a bad update by microsoft. When the dvds are in the drive they are first picked up as dvd's but once they are burnt are picked up as CD's. I am definately burning them as DVDs. I thought maybe it could be Nero but the discs do work on other computers. By the way thanks for the quick reply, ASUS support are utterly useless
JB

I don't think it's an update problem, then it wouldn't play on any other PC either.
Does it play on a regular DVD player? If it does then it's definately not a windows update issue. My guess is the same as iss's, it's a weak or dieing laser in the DVD writer. The laser literally burns pits (or no pits, i.e. 1's and 0's) into an aluminum film on the DVD. The same laser is also used to reflect light off the aluminum film to read the DVD. The laser changes output power when it's in read mode. If the laser power has dropped overall in both modes then you will have the condition of a bad burn AND a weak reader. One or the other seems ok, but not both. You can still read previously good burned and a fully working DVD reader (i.e. another PC) can still read the bad burned DVD.

It could also be bad media. or that your burner does not like the DVDR's you have. DVD burners can be picky about what kind of media they like. hope it isnt memorex media or some off brand cheapo stuff.

Frnds, I have "sony DVD RW AW- G170A" type dvd writer. I created a data dvd using nero 6 version on my computer. The process completed successfully but now that dvd is not read by My CD/DVD rom (shows zero byte). However the same dvd is read on other coms and also the data dvd which have been created from other com are read by my com. Many people have already created dvd from my com but they also did not find any problem in running dvd on their own coms. plz help me if there is any solution for this.
thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back