TechSpot

DVI Issues, could really use some help

By simplydemented
Mar 6, 2009
  1. Long story short, I am trying to run a DVI line through my basement. One of the cables seems to be giving me a problem, but I sent it back, it was tested, and deemed "fine".

The parts I have are a Tower with DVI-I dual output.
    2x DVI-D Single cables
    1x DVI-I Dual cable
    2x DVI couplers
    Monitor with DVI-D input

The DVI-Ds coupled together work fine
    I have been told the DVI-I cable is fine
    ... but any combination I try that makes use of the DVI-I does not work.

I just drew up a fantastic picture in paint for another forum, so maybe it will help explain the issue.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/simplydemented1/?action=view&current=DVIIssues.jpg
    (wont let me post links because im new, theres a space in the htt p)

I have been having issues with this for about a month now. Anyone have ANY idea why this wont work?

I know digital signal fades after a certain distance, and this setup is about 30 feet... but I have read that I should still get a picture at that distance, it may just lose some quality.

2. simplydemented

simplydemented TS Rookie Topic Starter

lol, nevermind. After a month of this, I finally got it working. :D

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,332   +277

So what was the problem? How did you make it work?

4. simplydemented

simplydemented TS Rookie Topic Starter

stupidity on my part.

I am trying to link this up to my tv with ultramon, and I had a similar setup awhile ago that made use of DVI going about 25ft. I read online that DVI can get up to 30 feet before losing quality, so coupled with my TV experience, I figured the distance couldn't be the issue.

What I failed to realize is the maximum resolution for that distance w/o losing quality is 1280x1024. My tv is 1280x720 and my monitor is 1680x1050.

Long story short, by testing on my monitor i was losing the quality at around 15feet (cables add up to ~30) so nothing was coming through. By dropping my resolution down to the same as the tv, I got picture with no problems. :)

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,332   +277

Thanks for posting your solution - hopefully if someone else stumbles upon this thread in the future this can provide them some assistance.

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,626   +320

What gauge wire? I think if you can get down to like 22 you'll go further. If you are using 26 or 28 I can see how this would happen. Might be worth looking into, monoprice.com sells them cheap.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.