DVI over Analog?

By raiders8180
Sep 6, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi. I am new here. I just purchase a new 17inch LCD monitor with DVI. My computer does not have a DVI jack what kind of video card would be best? I don’t do much gamming. I manly surf the web and some picture stuff. Is there a big different between the DVI and Analog for what I do? Does it pay for me to put a new card in. My computer is a Compaq Presario s5000v windows XP SP2

Thank you for any help, STEVE
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Since you dont do any gaming any card with a DVI output will do. BUt you have to see if you have an AGP slot. If not you will need a PCI video card.
  3. raiders8180

raiders8180 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

:rolleyes: Thank you for your reply Vegasgmc, how do I know if I have a AGP or PCI ? I have a intel®82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. But thank you for your help.
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

If you really don't play much, you can always get a Matrox card. Their 2D is still one of the best, even on their entry level cards (budget cards if you prefer).
  5. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 829

Without knowing what motherboard you have, you'd need to open your PC and look at the interface connection slots on the motherboard.
    An AGP slot looks like this:
    [​IMG]

A PCI slot looks like this:
    [​IMG]

(Images pulled from google images)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.