DVI over Analog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am new here. I just purchase a new 17inch LCD monitor with DVI. My computer does not have a DVI jack what kind of video card would be best? I don’t do much gamming. I manly surf the web and some picture stuff. Is there a big different between the DVI and Analog for what I do? Does it pay for me to put a new card in. My computer is a Compaq Presario s5000v windows XP SP2

Thank you for any help, STEVE

Since you dont do any gaming any card with a DVI output will do. BUt you have to see if you have an AGP slot. If not you will need a PCI video card.

:rolleyes: Thank you for your reply Vegasgmc, how do I know if I have a AGP or PCI ? I have a intel®82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. But thank you for your help.

If you really don't play much, you can always get a Matrox card. Their 2D is still one of the best, even on their entry level cards (budget cards if you prefer).

raiders8180 said:
:rolleyes: Thank you for your reply Vegasgmc, how do I know if I have a AGP or PCI ? I have a intel®82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. But thank you for your help.

Without knowing what motherboard you have, you'd need to open your PC and look at the interface connection slots on the motherboard.
An AGP slot looks like this:
motherboard480832.JPG

A PCI slot looks like this:
motherboard48083.JPG

(Images pulled from google images)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back