DVI over Analog?

By raiders8180
Sep 6, 2005
  1. Hi. I am new here. I just purchase a new 17inch LCD monitor with DVI. My computer does not have a DVI jack what kind of video card would be best? I don’t do much gamming. I manly surf the web and some picture stuff. Is there a big different between the DVI and Analog for what I do? Does it pay for me to put a new card in. My computer is a Compaq Presario s5000v windows XP SP2

Thank you for any help, STEVE
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

Since you dont do any gaming any card with a DVI output will do. BUt you have to see if you have an AGP slot. If not you will need a PCI video card.
  3. raiders8180

raiders8180 TS Rookie Topic Starter

:rolleyes: Thank you for your reply Vegasgmc, how do I know if I have a AGP or PCI ? I have a intel®82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. But thank you for your help.
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

If you really don't play much, you can always get a Matrox card. Their 2D is still one of the best, even on their entry level cards (budget cards if you prefer).
  5. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 669

Without knowing what motherboard you have, you'd need to open your PC and look at the interface connection slots on the motherboard.
    An AGP slot looks like this:

A PCI slot looks like this:

(Images pulled from google images)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.