DVI to HDMI?

steelth

I have a hp 5750 . I want to connect a plasma tv to it that has a hdmi connection in the back . I had it connected before on my old comp. and it work fine through the video card hdmi connection. But this computer doesn't have a video card only the on board.For some reason I don't get any picture when I connect it. I bought an adapter like http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimi...703872&sr=1-12&keywords=dvi+to+hdmi+converter and used a hdmi cable but still no picture . Any idea would be great. Thx

Dvi does not carry sound channels - only video ( to my knowledge). You will need a dedicated graphics card that has an HDMI output for an HDMI tv

I don't think he's trying to send sound and from the original post it looks like something he has done before. The only thing I can think of is you're using a resolution the display doesn't like. Have you tried setting to 1280x720 before switching to that connection?

I believe @Tedster is correct as the major difference DVI vs HDMI is the missing sound channel. DVI was primarily intended as a monitor connection and not a multimedia channel.

Thx for your replies ,but LncPapa is correct I have done this before only I went hdmi to vga which took a converter . I also realize that there will be no sound sent . The thing is I have no picture . I will try to change the resolution tomorrow and see if that helps. thx again

What you are trying to do works and there are a number of DVI<->HDMI converters.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but the one you listed looks like it's meant to do the reverse of what you are doing, which is to plug an HDMI device into a DVI display, whereas you're trying to connect a DVI device to and HDMI HDTV.

As others said, it could be frequency but your TV should alert this somehow. So perhaps it's just a different adapter you need?

Good luck!

Huh,? The male dvi end plugs to my comptuter the hdmi female end plugs into a hdmi cable which then connects to my tv.Tomorrow I will try and see if changing it to 1280x720 will help.thx again

Hey Steeth,
Correct, but the adapter says it's meant to plug into a DVI display, I.e. the flow is opposite (converts incoming HDMI signal to outgoing DVI signal) so not sure if that makes a difference since you're trying to use it for the opposite (convert incoming DVI signal to outgoing HDMI signal).

So perhaps simply a different adapter is needed.. I.e. kinda like the ones AMD/Radeon's ship with, which is designed to plug onto the tail end of the DVI connector on your display card INSTEAD of plugging into the DVI port on a monitor.

Hope that makes sense! Good luck!

Back