TechSpot

DX 10.1 will not require a new video card

By Rilla927
Aug 14, 2007
  1. http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6824&Itemid=2

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

They still say that some features will not be supported. I can't trust to what extent that statement is true but at least it gives some respite from the 'buy-a-new-card' thingy that was going on. Although I'm still unsure as to how much we can trust SP1 to 'fix' Vista.

3. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 403

I agree. I agree that you have to upgrade to "stay ahead of the pack", but after plunking down $600 bills for the 8800 GTX card when it first came out (which can now be had for $400 and some change, and then expecting us to plunk down a little more for a NEW DX10.1 card (which I haven't even heard exists or is in development), is a bit of a stretch. It's a little much to expect us to dump 1/3 of a monthly pay check (the lucky ones, anyway) for an upgrade to a new card when there is no mention of any major card manufacturers even discussing one on the drawing boards. Besides, it's a little tough to resell the original card when most gamers haven't even upgraded to a PCI-e compatible mobo yet. Not only that, if it is true, NVIDIA and ATI stand to lose bucoup bucks on standing inventories of the original DX 10 cards.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.