Dynamic IP's, and the tracking of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

As I've said many times before, I have XP Pro, with a broadband connection. Sadly, that connection is a direct connection via AOL servers :( Cheap, but not ideal.

The problem is, that I don't have a static IP, and thus, its forever changing. I would like to be able to remotely access my computer, but without it's IP this is pretty difficult.

Is there any way in which I can set out a kind of beacon on the internet with a static IP (that only I can acess with a password, and only I know where to look for it), that will enamble me to keep track of my machines current IP in order to connect with say, netmeeting?

If that's overly complicated (bearing in mind I don't want to use third party software!), is there any other way of keeping track of it?

A dynamic DNS is what you want. Go look at www.dyndns.org There are many other similar services but dyndns seems to be the most known and supported.

I have set it up so that every time my router creates the DSL connection it also updates my hostname on dyndns so that i can always reach my home comp through the same name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back