E-book reading is on the rise but print still reigns supreme, survey finds

By Shawn Knight
Jan 16, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The latest report from Pew’s wide-reaching Internet & American Life survey suggests that while print still remains the foundation of Americans’ reading habits, e-reading is certainly on the rise. Specifically, 28 percent of those polled said they read an e-book...

Read more
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

I do both, but still prefer a real book (paperback). The e-reader has some problems. Like when I accidentally rest my thumb on the page, all of a sudden it jumps forward or back 30 pages. So you always have to hold it by the edges. It can also be cumbersome. A reader is about 1/3 more the height and width of a paperback, so if I'm reading in bed, it feels like I'm holding a clipboard which is uncomfortable. Then there are the fingerprints on the screen which is annoying. If the e-reader you're using is a tablet, you get annoying pop-ups from your social media apps.

It has its uses - certainly nice to be able to download in a minute virtually any book or magazine you want. But in the end I prefer a plain old paperback I can throw around, fold the pages down where I find something interesting or save a place and if I end up accidentally dropping it in the pool, it's no big deal. I go spend 3 bucks for another used one.
    ikesmasher likes this.
  3. EClyde

EClyde TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 136   +12

Ebooks are more convenient and I been readin' for 56 years. took me a long time to try the format and I prefer it
  4. Loved books all my life and never thought I would give up paper books. Now will only ever read ebooks, much easier and lighter and convenient.

As an aside how the hell can you get fingerprints on the screen of an ereader all the ones I own have matt screens, only wipe occasionally for dust.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,825   +704

I've been reading for ~ 50 years and use both. E readers are useful but generally I prefer it the old fashioned way.
  6. I've been using E-Books for 150 years and I don't have any problems... ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.