e-GeForce 6200 vs. ATI Radeon 9600xt

By cfitzarl
Jun 26, 2006
  1. I just built my own computer afte going crazy for a few years with the Dell Optiplex Gx110, and now have decided to upgrade my S3 UniChrome integrated graphics with something better for playing modern games. I am looking at a 128mb. 64-Bit EVGA e-GeForce 6200 agp 8x, and a 256mb ATI Radeon 9600xt (or tx?) agp 8x. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages, but I am wondering which is better. I play mainly games like The Sims 2 kind of games as well as Action RPG's (like Oblivion, but less demanding). Which is better suited for me? Here are my computer specs. straight from the DirectX Diagnostic Tool:

Intel(R) Celeron(R) :dead: CPU 2.66 Ghz
    224 MB. Ram (next on my list to upgrade)
    DirectX 8.1 :mad: (will be upgraded to 9.0 by the time anyone reads this)
    Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
  2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Out of those two, the 9600XT is WAY better. But, if you like to play modern games, I`m afraid you`ll need better CPU and GPU. The 9600XT isn`t very good for Oblivion.

You need at least a Geforce 6600 GT for that game, and of course a good CPU (Athlon 64, P4) to run Oblivion. Very demanding game.....

Also, Welcome to Techspot!! :wave:
  3. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 462

The 6200 has more features but is slow, too slow to really utilize it's features even. The 9600xt is old, but faster than a 6200.

My son plays Oblivion with a 9600 All In Wonder(slower than the XT) and it plays fine on low settings 800x600--it still looks very good. My x800gto AGP plays it on high settings 1680x1050 with a little overclock with good FPS.
  4. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,975   +9

When I said Oblivion, I meant games like it, I know it would never work well with my bad. Sorry! When I play the Sims 2 now, I get about 3 fps :mad: (I hate S3 Unichrome Graphics) I already bought the 6200 (for around $30 on ebay). I hope it comes broken so I can return it for a Radeon...
  5. Mirob

It will work fine, I think you will even be able to play Oblivion on low settings 600x400.
  6. cfitzarl

Thanks for the support. I'm just happy to have a new computer. My Dell had 933 mhz, and a 110 watt power supply. What a big step to go to a 2.66 ghz computer w/a 450 watt power supply!
  7. cfitzarl

How do you overclock the card? (New to graphic cards) Will the 6200 be overclockable?
  8. Mirob

Yes you will be able to overclock it with a program like Riva Tuner and others. Clockgen might be able to overclock your Celeron. Get more memory.
  9. cfitzarl

Ohh, my first thread! I can answer my own question now! You should've gotten the 9600XT!!!!!!! I eventually got rid of that card and sold it to a friend for a $0 profit. New computer as well!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.