E-Machine ET-1641 freezing/startup repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, new to the forums and I seen a bunch of help from friendly members and I joined up, hoping someone could help me as well.

My PC keeps freezing while I'm playing a video game.

Now before you directly assume I need more memory or a new video card, this problem just started to happen in the past 2 weeks and I've been playing the game for about 8 months now.

When the PC freezes I'm forced to do a hard restart. I choose to start windows normally and it never starts, just stays at the booting bar. I've let this sit for times of a half hour before hard restarting again. So instead of the option of starting windows normally, I'm asked to run "Start up repair". This happens every time my computer freezes OR if I'm turning on my computer in the mornings. So it's not just happening when the PC freezes, it also happens if I just randomly restart.

Now I will go ahead and say I contacted a virus about 2 months ago and removed all infected files and spent a day running numerous spyware scanners and anti-virus scanners until all signs of the virus was gone. Could this be the problem? Could it finally be affecting me now after 2 months of its removal? If this is the case, I'm just going to reformat and start over since I really don't have anything on here important anyways. I can always re-instal a game so that's no biggie.

I'm just wondering if their was an alternate route before I take the big step such as reformatting. Any information is helpful. Thanks in advance.

Welcome KryptikNinja,
I would strongly suggest that you replace the power supply as soon as possible, before the motherboard fries... Even though you may think something else is causing the freezing, eMachines are noted for their poor quality Power Supplies

Sorry for the late responce. Been kind of busy at work and havn't had time to be on the internet.

Anyways, thanks for the responce, I'm formatting my HDD here in a couple hours and I'll be sure to replace to the power supply as soon as I get paid on Thursday. Funds are low until then, so I'm sure you can understand that.

What one do you recommend? I won't have much to spend, possibly $50-$75, so anything in that range.

Thanks to all who helped me. I purchased a new power supply (Thanks to a loan from my fiancee) and I also formatted my HD. Everythings running like a dream now, but then again, I reformatted so nothings there ti clump it up.

Anyways, again, thanks everyone. Your help was greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back