TechSpot

E-Machine

By itnewbee
Oct 31, 2007
  1. I have an e-machine lap top that will not read the cd/dvd. The drives were updated. and I am not getting any error message. I can hear the thing spinning.

2. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

My guess would be that the drive needs replaced.

3. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 1,687

eMachines use cheap parts so put a good replacement drive in then you'll be away :)

4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

Before you chuck it, clean the optic of the drive very carefully with something like a spectacle cleaning cloth or a photographers lens cleaner. The lenses look upwards so any airbourne muck will land on it. Crafty bit of design, that.

5. itnewbee

itnewbee TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

Thanks

Never open one up, That would be a separate drive from the hd. Any recomondations.

6. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 1,687

i can't quite understand your last post, do you mean you've never taken the covers off a laptop?

7. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

Or maybe the CD drive - you can see the optic on a laptop CD drive (unless it is a caddiless one) in the middle of the slide-out tray.

8. EDollar

EDollar TS Rookie Posts: 44

Canned air works well too

9. itnewbee

itnewbee TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

Thanks for all the help. The new drive sounds like the solution. Sorry I didn't get back yesterday but I keep haveing login trouble. Hopefully its cleared up.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.