E-Machines any good?

By wibtr
Feb 11, 2007
  1. I mean I know they arent top of the line or anything... But are they good for what they are supposed to be? As in cheap and decent? Is one even worth getting? Thanks.
  2. TD25x

TD25x TS Rookie

eMachines is an entry level box for entry level people with entry level experience with an entry level price.
    I've had no problems with the 5 eMachines I have owned...but I'm sure other will disagree here...
  3. wibtr

wibtr TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

are they capable of running the newer games? The reason I'm asking.. I was just at Wal-mart and saw one. They are damn cheap for pretty high specs. I never heard of them before tonight.
  4. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Well, they often have problems with power supplies going and sometimes taking out other stuff in the process. I wouldn't buy one; I'd advise you to build your own. cuz if you run into problems, you know where to ask! ;)

Regards :)
  5. wibtr

I dont know much though.. How practical is it to build a computer when you dont know ****?
  6. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Take a look HERE, then decide if you still want an eMachine.

We see more eMachines problems than with any other brand. My advice would be to avoid eMachines if at all possible.

Regards Howard :)
  7. wibtr

yikes. thanks. so what's a reliable cheap brand?
  8. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

If you`re determined to go with an oem build, then I guess Dell would be at the top my list.

Regards Howard :)
  9. TD25x

TD25x TS Rookie

Which model did you see at Walmart?
  10. wibtr

I dont remember, one of the higher end ones.
  11. TD25x

TD25x TS Rookie

*Probably* has an Intel mobo with a PCIe x16 video slot for upgrading if the onboard graphics won't play the games you like.
  12. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

High specs is less than 3Ghz, anything over 3Ghz is low end, that sounds funny dosnt it? But it is true for sure.
  13. foozy

foozy TS Rookie Posts: 139

I'd also say stay away from eMachines. Dell seems OK, but i've heard that HP has the best tech support.

Course the only time I deal with them is when they're old and broken.
  14. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Posts: 595

Try one of these:

Build-Your-Own :D

*whisper* my real message was the last one on the list *
  15. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Dell or HP should work well too.
  16. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

HP Seems to be the best OEM imo.
  17. ambivolent

ambivolent TS Rookie Posts: 67

the only plus i see to buying an e machine from wal-mart is the 2 year warranty
  18. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

only if you're seriously high after smoking some really good S**t.
    Emachines are notoriously bad. You get what you pay for.
  19. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

I'd go with Dell or just build your own rig.
  20. GeekieNick101

GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Posts: 373

If your going to go with Dell I would recommend the 4 year warranty and I would not recommed purchasing an Emachines due to the fact they ae poorly built and dont last very long, I had one that had a 2 1/2 years lifespand. HP is pretty good or you could go with Compaq which is owned by HP bascily its just a cheaper verison oh an HP computer. But the best ideal thing is to build your own system since you can get higher specs for less since your not paying for labor to assembly the system. Hope I could help
  21. Herbssat

Herbssat TS Rookie Posts: 25

I second what everbody else has been saying about E machines. Stay far away from them. I get more of these to fix than any other brand. The power supply poops out and takes the motherboard with it. Most technicians here refuse to work on them because of the issues. Do yourself a favor and get a dell or an hp if you are looking for a proprietary computer.We make jokes about them not even lasting to get the first automatic update from microsoft.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.