E-Mail virus from "UPS"

By kitchenman
Jul 15, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I received an E-mail from what was supposed to be Unite Parcel Service.
    When I opened it I found that it was not from UPS and I got a virus that Norton did not handle.
    I cannot boot all the way up. It gets to user screen (XP professional) and when I pick user name it starts to shut down.
    I tried Safe Mode but same thing happens.
    Help
    What do I do
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Use Webroot SpySweeper, or Spyware Doctor 5.5, along with Antivir, MalwareBytes, and SuperAntispyware. Run them again immediately from a cold boot and SAFE MODE.
    Then run HiJack This and post the logs here.
  3. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

Raybay were you awake when you read this,:zzz: he cant get into the system to run anything.;)

He tried Safe mode and that didnt work either so his only option is to slave the drive onto a working PC and run a disk scan using an updated virus scanner and see if that helps.

Failing that, slave the drive and backup your data and reinstall.

By the way if you werent expecting an Email from UPS why did you open it, most email viruses need you to click an attachment before a virus would load...tell us the truth now....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.