E maschine C2160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! This is my first post. I am not a tech genius but try to do everything myself. I know Emachines are not good (never buy it again!!) but still I want to learn. We have 4 running computers Dell XPS, 2 Gateways and one HP lap. My husband's E maschine C2160 I bought at Costco couple of years ago. He only write on it Hard drive almost empty.
A year ago just stoped working. Monitor sais no power connection. DVD-RW drive opens, both fans are running, no chip or other sound. CD/DVD drive no good but was not good before either didn't open. He never used it. Everybody talled me to change MB. I did. I found the same MB installed it but still the same. Monitor sais no power detected. Fans are running again, dvd RW drive opens. Cd/DVD drive no good. Tried with and without installing the broken CD drive and still nothing. I put the restore CD in the DVD RW drive that maybe will start but no. Do you think the power no good? But the fan is working on the power box. Monitor is good. What else. I know it doesn't worth to fix but still like to learn what could be wrong with it. The new MB they said is good and exactly the same as the old one. What else could be wrong.

Psu (power supply unit), they are notoriously bad.

It has probably damaged other components too.

The psu puts out various different voltages. 3.3v, 5v standby, +5v, -5v, +12v, and -12v.
It only takes one of those to go wrong.

As an example, I tested one emachine psu and it was putting out 38v on the 5v standby rail, it fried absolutely everything apart from the cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back