E Sata requirements

By Rovers_robin
Sep 20, 2007
  1. I am trying to connect a Seagate Freeagent Pro via E Sata to an internal card without any success. I can't get the drive to recognise in Windows XP pro at all!

I have tried using several Sata II internal cards but the drive will not recognise at all! I have read somewhere that a specific E Sata card is required as opposed to the Sata II card - is there any difference? As far as I can tell the connections are the same!

The cards I have tried are the Silicon Image SiL 3132 (PCI-Express) and Addonics ADSA3GPX1-2E.

I have also read that there is an issue with these drives whereby the E Sata cable has to be pushed WELL into the drive in order for it to recognise.

I just wander if someone would be able to give me some clarification and understanding about this.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

you need to install SATA drivers before your system will pick it up.
  3. Rovers_robin

Rovers_robin TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, the drivers for the sata card were installed and the card recognised.

Just after I'd posted I managed to crack it - it seems the people who were having to push the eSata cables in firmly were right! I changed the cable to a better-quality one and hey presto!

The lesson here is don't use poor-quality Sata cables!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.