E4300 temps and Gigabyte GA 965P-S3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbssat

I recently overclocked my cpu to 2.394 ghz and ran the Intel TAT tool. Core temps were way too high after stressing with 100% load.(71c) I need to bring this down to at least 60 under load.I just ordered a Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro to see if that will help lower the temps.Nevertheless, just in case anybody is wondering; I have reseated the stock heatsink at least 3 times with artic silver 5 with no difference in temp. This board is revision 1 which I did not want and I have flashed the bios to F12. I also ran TAT at stock settings and both cores maxed out at about 62c under 100% load. Need some suggestions as it seems that stock cooling is not doing it!

Stock cooling only keeps the temperature under the required operating threshold. Your new CPU fan should help.

I have had similar issues with a 6400 on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 board. In theory this shouldn't be possible, but I think Intel TAT might be wrong. I was getting up to 70C after several minutes on stock cooling, I used AS 5 and AS Ceramique on it (not at the same time) I cleaned it off and reapplied several times, still getting really high temps. Then I bought a Zalman 9700 heatsink and I still hit 62 or 63C. :(

The stock HSF was meant to be used when your CPU is ran at its factory stock settings. Other factors to take into account if your ambient and case temperatures.

That AC Freezer 7 Pro should help.

Hi all and thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that my ambient temp was about 72 degrees fahrenheit and case temp according to sandra is about 34 to 37 degrees celsius even under load. After reading some other posts about TAT, some say that they do not use it because it is highly stressful and the results obtained are not often within the parameters of real world computing. One poster said to reduce the reading obtained by about 15 degrees celsius and that would give you a better reading of load temps under TAT. The poster also recommended using core temp version 94 instead of version 95 that uses a tjunction of 100 degrees c.

I Can't Speak Directly to the Gigabyte 965 Board

But, Intel is trying to keep the machines quite and their BIOS really turns the processor fan slow. Too slow IMHO. My G965WH never wants to pull the fan off idle. I don't know if this applies to Gigabyte's iteration of this chipset.

I think you are right about that as I have observed the same thing with the fan. I have not downloaded any utility to check the speed of the fan but it seems that mine does not ramp up to control the temp like some other motherboards do. In fact it seems that my fan never runs too much above 2000 rpms if that.

Ok. I finally got this freezer 7 pro on the other day and took off the thermal interface material and applied some AS5. It did help somewhat but I am still not impressed. The temp dropped at the same frequency about 8 to 10 degrees celsius under load with TAT and I also ran the small fft test in orthos for 5 hours 30 minutes and temp never went above 62C. Even with decent cooling; I am still not getting the temps that others rave about with this thing. Anybody got any other suggestions?

Well......

The Celeron D 356 in my new board is running at 10C, this according to "Super Step". (It's basically Foxconn's "Speedfan"). What's cool about that, (pardon the pun), is it's running in a 21C room. Top that...!

Do the BIOS and the Windows readings agree?

I have the same problem Herbssat. I can't imagine both you and I are doing something terribly different from people never leaving the 30s under load.

The TAT must be wrong... My E6320 is at 2.8GHz on stock cooling, and the fan speed has never ramped up in the 6 months I've had it running like that. Also, the computer has never crashed under load. Several programs report my load temps at about 51C.

I have probably determined that most people that are reporting their temps as ultra low are not using the correct utility to monitor temps. I tried using speedfan but noticed that it was about 15 degrees celsius lower than coretemp or TAT. I woke up this morning and turned the computer on and noticed that it idled at 32. However the temp was about 69F and load was about 59C. Maybe we might be running after a wild goose chase that does not exist. With the core 2 duo chip; I look at the internal core temp from programs that read the DTS sensor. I do not care as much about the tj max because by the time you have reached that temp you are either throttling or shutdown anyway so I try to stay away from it as far as possible. My tj max is 100C. SNGX, I don't think that we are doing anything that most others are not doing. Maybe, they live in a freezer or using water cooling. I don't know about any other utilities because I use TAT and coretemp.95 to monitor core temps and until other posters can prove that their coretemps are exceptionally low under idle and load using the same ambient temp and heatsink and fan; I won't believe it. As the old saying goes" I'm from Missouri".

Just thought I would introduce a quick note. For those of you who think that the TAT tool may be wrong for coretemps you need to revisit this. Download Coretemp version .95 and compare while running TAT. The temps are almost identical on my board. This applies to most Allendale E4300 core 2 duo cpus and may not apply to some other C2Duo chips. If you really want to find out which software is right; drop your fsb and multiplier to about 266x6 respectively and change your cpu voltage to about 1.2 volts. At idle you should drop at least 15 or 20C. If your monitoring software detects your cpu core as below ambient temps or is still way too high, then it is wrong. It is impossible to be below ambient temp with air cooling.

Maybe we should hook it up to a lie detector.......

Those ultra-low temps are probably reported by Ritalin deprived gamers. It seems we only like those things that tell us what we want to hear. This might go a long way toward explaining "Speedfans" enormous popularity. My processor's still running cooler than your processor, so there.

The thermal design spec on your CPU is about 73 C. I'd rethink the 100C alarm setting.

I had a computer with 3 HDDs, 2 WD 250GB "SATA "Caviar(s)" and a 80GB Seagate "Barracuda". WD 1= 104 F, WD2 121F, Sea. 104F, see the caption.

Herbssat said:
If your monitoring software detects your cpu core as below ambient temps or is still way too high, then it is wrong. It is impossible to be below ambient temp with air cooling.

Ya think.....?

This issue has been a big debate in a lot of other forums and I am getting down to the bottom of this. I decided to investigate findings from other posters as to the actual temp of these Core 2 duo chips. I cannot speak for other posters as I have found out that my particular E4300 must have a tjunction of 85C as opposed to 100C because after cranking the voltage and fsb with multiplier down a good bit; speedfan was the closest to match. However, there are some E4300 chips out there with a Tjunction of 100C. It has been proven by some other posters that went to great extremes to prove it by making the cpu throttle at certain temps to see if speedfan or coretemp 95 was correct. The consensus is that Intel changed the Tjunction at some time during manufacturing. As far as the thermal design spec from Intel is concerned; if 71C is the alarm or shutdown then the accepted value of tjmax whether it be 85 or 100 is not valid at all. All thermal specs mean to me is that when the cpu reaches a certain temp or beyond; it is operating out of its wattage spec that was intended by the designer and you are pushing it. It is not the maximum temp that it can handle because even at tjmax of 85; the cpu will throttle at 80C. Please correct me if I am wrong about this. The biggest problem with monitoring software has been found to be the Allendale E4300,6300 and 6400 that cpuz reports as revision L2. Most problems are not with the revision B2 core cpus like the E6600. These all have a tjunction of 85C. It seems that speedfan and coretemp 94&95 are all correct. Tat is also close with these. It has also been determined if you have a revision L2 E63xx or E64xx you can also use coretemp 94 or speedfan to monitor temps. As far as the E4300 is concerned, the best advice I can give is to crank down the chip where it gives less heat and see which temp program is closer to ambient.

Watchin' the Detectives......(Elvis Costello)

Since the "Arctic 7 Freezer Pro" is a PWM controlled fan, what has the BIOS been doing with the fan RPM? The temperature difference from fan low RPM to fan high RPM is another few degrees celsius. For my next build I'm going to return to the "primitive" and use a HSF with 3 wires and an external controller.

Right now my fan is running at full blast. I have disabled the automatic fan speed control in the bios. I have learned from some other system builders who do not trust the bios to control their fan and I have taken the same position. One primary reason for doing it is to make sure that systems built for clients always have the cpu fan running as it is one question I will ask if they are having operational problems.If they tell me the fan is not running, then I know something is up; because all auto fan options are disabled in the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back