E6300 L2 and B2 stepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

One's Allendale, one's Conroe.

Anybody have any links, or ideas to which would overclock better? I'm betting the Conroe will overclock better, but I'm not too sure...

are you talking about the e6300/4300 or w/e, and the 6350 and the 4350 with 4mb l2? I'm sobbering up sorry, working on technicality, lol

I'm talking just the E6300, there's the L2 and B2 stepping, apparently the L2 stepping is so new its not really out on the streets yet.

I'll be getting a B2, but I wanna know if the L2 is better, since its newer.

Okay, I didn't get any information here, but I got some replies over in another forum.

Anyway, I'll just update everyone here.

The B2 stepping is Conroe, while L2 is Allendale. The B2 does overclock better than the L2. Someone with both E6300s has reported an overclock of about 3.3ghz on the B2, while the L2 almost reached 3.0ghz (even after massive overvolting). This is on the same system, with CPU swapped over. L2 overclock was checked a few times (includes re-seating).

This is not to say the L2 isn't good, but the B2 is definately better if you're after a good overclock.

Also, just as extra info, lookout for "B" weeks of any CPU: they seem to overclock a little better, but the Conroe core gives a much bigger advantage.
ie: B2 stepping A chip is better than L2 stepping B chip for the E6300.

Also, to check for Conroe/Allendale, apparently Conroe's Batch# starts with L6, while Allendale's starts with Q6.

Overclocking is now more independent on a mobo than it was in the past. I can get 2.45 on my board, while a lot of other boards can get 3Gz on that processor. Not sure how consistant benchmarks are for overclocking.

Bahhh, we're not talking overclocking on a cheap motherboard here, nor on cheap RAM.

I'm gonna buy a superior E6400 chip, and overclock that. I'll get back here with results. Unfortunately I get kinda worried about overvolting, so don't expect anything really good.

I really disagree with the way you use to reduce fan speeds, but thats off topic at the moment.

Back to the topic

I'm going to get myself an E6400, Batch# L629B. If week 29 is a good batch, 29B would make it even better.

I've also decided on the DS3P rev3.3, and will change the NB cooler to a Termalright HR-05 SLI (I think its HR). 2 heatpipes for the NB, 4 heatpipes for the GPU and CPU. My whole comp cooling would be Thermalright with Arctic cooling fans.....

I've got a L2 chip, but that's because it's from the E4000 series. But since I'm more than happy with 2.4-2.5 Ghz, that's not an issue for me. :)

E4300 only released on L2. I wanna shoot for the stars... or as high as I can without going too crazy with voltages...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back