E6300+P5B+corsair - wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
after reading pc gamer i was pointed this site to make a nice overclocked pc. I didnt have tons of money so i got the following:

e6300
asus 5b
512 MB corsair ddr2 6400 xms2
7800 gt
blue storm 500w
thermalright ultra 120
(i wasnt able to buy the more expensive RAM and mobo suggested by the reviewer)

The magazine stated that this would be sufficient for o/cing so when it came i put it all together. I have so far been unable to make it boot,the fans come on but the screen doesnt turn on and nothing appears to be happening. I have moved the ram to different lots, reset the CMOS, tried it with just the essential components, and checked all plugs and fittings

So im kind of hoping for help with 2 things here (yes im cheeky :) )

Firstly do you have any idea what the problem may be with my pc?and secondly will I be able to o/c this to the same level that you did with yours in the test

If you could answer either/both of these, or just point me in the right direction I will be very greatful

forgot to say hi

i just realised i didnt even say hi, so hi all :)

im not an expert on pcs but if anyone has a problem ive come across before i will be more than happy to help

Welcome to Techspot :wave: ! Are there any beeps or codes coming from the motherboard when you try to start it up? If so, what are they? Also, what is the full model number of your motherboard?

I have a hunch it's the Asus P5B ;) (*ahem. he said so) :haha:
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&model=1178&modelmenu=1

When you press the power switch, do the fans start spinning, then suddenly stop?
Or do the fans start spinning and stay spinning, but with nothing on the screen? Specify.

If it starts up for 1 second then stops, it could be a fried motherboard or it is grounded somewhere on the board.
If everything appears to be working (all fans spinning, POST beeps) but there's nothing on the screen, the make sure you have seated the graphics card properly (re-seat it), and also that the monitor is connected snuggly onto the video card.

Asking for any beep codes was a good call, are there any beeps when you power up? Make sure you answer cfitzarl on that one.

Good luck and happy overclocking :)

When I turn the pc on the fans and lights stay on until i turn them off again. I have tried reseating the GPU a couple of times but it doesnt seem to be that. Embarassingly I cant find the 4-pin connector for the system warning speaker. I have an x-blade case and I cant for the life of me find which cables I should plug in. The mobo manual says they are labelled +5V,ground,ground, speaker, but i cannot find these inside the case. The most embarassing thing of all is that this is an old case and I have had the speaker working before, but have forgotten what they are called :) (I assumed they would be with the reset button, power, HDD activity etc but it is not grouped with them)

The only connecters I can find is a group of 7 but I think they are for the speaker and mic sockets on the front of the case. The 7 connecters are labelled GND, Ear L, Ear L, MIC VCC, MIC DATA, EAR R, EAR R.

Thank you for your help so far, its nice to know there is someone out there :)

I took it to a shop and the guy fixed it yay :)

Apparently the motherboard required a bios flash to work with the e6300 so he put in an older cpu to get into the bios.

Im so glad its finally sorted, thanks for all your help guys :)

stumbling said:
I took it to a shop and the guy fixed it yay :)

Apparently the motherboard required a bios flash to work with the e6300 so he put in an older cpu to get into the bios.

Im so glad its finally sorted, thanks for all your help guys :)

Intel has been having trouble with motherboards supporting the Intel Core 2 Duo, and a lot of motherboards are needing exactly what your's needed; a BIOS flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back