TechSpot

E7400 p5ld2

By Vortec2
Jan 29, 2009
  1. Hey guys, newbie here.

I was hoping ya'll could help me out. I think I've found the answer but wanted to double check with some folks who know more than I do.

I have an Asus P5LD2 running a P4 3.0ghz and want to upgrade to a duo core. I was looking at the E7400 and just wanted to make sure it was compatible.

I know my mobo won't support a quad core and i have to stay with an FSB of 1066...again I just wanted to make sure this processor would work. Hoping to turn this box into a media computer.

thanks in advance

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Check the specs of the board from your ASUS manual or the ASUS site, then the specs for the E7400. I think you might be in a bit of trouble making everything work together.
    I wouldn't make the change if it were mine. i would prefer to upgrade the board, then decide on the best processor. Quad Core is a poor decision for most people... There was a post yesterday that Quad Core has less than 4 percent of the market... and we know a lot of those who are unhappy. The E7400 is excellent, provided you have a board and a power supply to match... then there are the memory issues.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,701   +1,886

You might want to investigate the compatibility of your board with the E4X00 series of C2Ds. True, the FSB is only 800Mhz, but it would be a huge step up from a P4. It's also more likely that a BIOS update would be available for that sequence of CPUs than the 45nm releases. The 4X00 "Allendale" cores are also going for cheap in most places, but I think supplies are drying up.

"Zip Zoom Fly" still lists a few models of these, http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005924&prodlist=celebros

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.