EA about to swallow up LucasArts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJediSlayer

I must admit that over the past half a year now, I've become more and more frustrated with EA and their reasoning. What I'm about to present below is all speculation from the writer's of this article, but I think it goes to show that people have come to the conclusion that EA is like Nazi Germany, or the communist in the 'domino theory': If one falls, another will fall beside it.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/06/11/lucasarts_development/

I wish gaming developers wouldn't sell out to EA so easily because it's important, in my opinion, to have a wide diversity of competition in the online market, so that game developers will continue to strive to make their games better.

Hehe, Me and my friends came up with this so long ago. That was when EA bought a company that we liked, but no one else did, and never made a game on that series again.

If they sell out to EA, why doesn't EVERYONE just sell out to the Redmond Empire? (M$ for anyone who doesn't get the joke.)

I can't understand how little gaming industry businesses would sell out easily to EA and other companies, but LucasArts and some other big players in the industry are by no means flat broke or in need of assistance.

Should EA gain a dominant foothold in the market, which seems like they already do, then we will undoubted notice that most of their games are entirely **** because they're the only games consumers can buy. EA's goal is to simply make money; their not in it for the love and thrill of game making.

Oh, and let us not forget that the gaming industry in PC is already hurting in certain sections without the need of EA mass producing shitty games for PC.

mopar man said:
Hehe, Me and my friends came up with this so long ago. That was when EA bought a company that we liked, but no one else did, and never made a game on that series again.

I dislike EA with great intensity, they bought out WestWood ( makers of Command & Conquer ) and turned it from an amazing series with great gameplay and multiplayer to a game made just for the graphics and "easy mode" gameplay that I hear 7 year olds at the Library chattering about.

To be honest, I thought, and think, they did decent with the Command and Conquer series, but screwed up practically everything else (Sim City FTL).

As I've said, they focus too much on trying to make money and not enough of making good, quality games for their consumers. Unfortunately, good game studios are selling out to them and that will inevitably hurt the PC gaming industry more than it already is in the end.

TheJediSlayer said:
As I've said, they focus too much on trying to make money and not enough of making good, quality games for their consumers. Unfortunately, good game studios are selling out to them and that will inevitably hurt the PC gaming industry more than it already is in the end.

If Lucasarts sold to EA, that would be a lot more screwed up than the others. I don't see George Lucas letting this happen. It wouldn't make any sense.

Also EA has made a lot of good games, but after the whole EA abuse of employees deal I lost any respect I could have had for them.

EA sucks, period. All their games combined cannot match the quality of games LucasArts has churned out over the years. From Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango and the Monkey Island series to Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, almost all of LucasArts' games have been fantastic. EA on the other hand, only has their sports titles and the Need For Speed series as their main draws. They practically suck at everything else.
If this deal goes through, there will be blood...

Omg I <3 Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle!!! I h8 NFS, (Maybe I like Most Wanted a Bit, but now I'm playing GT5 Prologue at my friends house).

What kind of blood will there be Rage_3k? Self-inflicted or beating the pulp out of Electronic A$$e$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back