EA acquires Playfish in bid to push for social gaming

By Justin
Nov 9, 2009
  1. EA is no stranger to the realm of online gaming, serving as a developer or publisher to some of the biggest online franchises around. They want to extend their influence in online gaming, focusing more on the "social" aspect, getting involved more in the development side and less on the publishing side of the growing portfolio that make up "social" games. To that end, they have acquired Playfish, a company that specializes in the development of many social games.

Read the whole story
  2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,425   +470

I hope this means better games for us all, and better interface and social chat, competivity and the like.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

I'd never even heard of Playfish so had to Google them. I see they put out flash-type games that are very popular on Facebook, Yahoo! etc. (shrugs) Not my cup of tea, but I know they are becoming wildly popular, particularly with kids and for the card games, a lot of senior adults.

However, as EA expands it's tentacles, I don't think it will be long before EA and Steam go head-to-head in a death match! ;)
  4. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,425   +470

Playfish is huge in Facebook, most of my friends play these games, since they are highly competitive and simple.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.