EA announces reboot of cyberpunk classic, Syndicate

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Following months of speculation, EA has finally come clean about its upcoming reboot to the cyberpunk classic, Syndicate. Originally launched in 1993 as an real-time tactical game, the title is being repackaged as a sci-fi first-person shooter and will land sometime early next year on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. PC hardware requirements haven't surfaced yet and they probably won't until a few weeks or months before the launch.

The title is set in 2069 when mega-corporations called Syndicates have supplanted the world's governments and the masses have accepted a neural chip implant required for housing, banking, education, entertainment, jobs, medical and insurance. With such central power over the lives of consumers, the Syndicates are constantly vying for control of market dominance. "Business has become war," says EA's description.

Players will experience the story through EuroCorp's prototype agent, Miles Kilo, who embarks on a "brutal action adventure of corruption and revenge." Based on the details we've seen, you'll have a bio-tech augmentation chip called DART6 that lets you slow time and see through walls. Between the bio-mechanical elements and cyberpunk sci-fi style, the new entry sounds a lot like the recently released Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

In fact, some fans of the original are upset about the FPS reboot. As noted, the original title was an isometric tactical shooter that was more about strategy than headshots and critics are concerned the game won't remain true to its roots. One of EA's bullet points describes a "visceral FPS experience." Another mentions that the game's four-player online co-op will have nine missions that are "reimagined from the original Syndicate."

For whatever it's worth, the title is being developed by Starbreeze Studios, the folks behind The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena. Although those games weren't hugely popular, they were praised for their diverse gameplay, which incorporated aspects of stealth and meticulously-paced action. If that's any indication, we wouldn't worry about Syndicate being a mindless corridor shooter.

Permalink to story.

Consider me as one of the original fans who aren't pleased about this. Syndicate was a great game and should be allowed to die with dignity.

Who knows, it might not be that bad. Although I agree, this game looks like an EA's Deus Ex, why am I not surprised?

I'm all for good gameplay and graphics; considering the developer, it will have the former, and considering that screenshot, it will also have the latter.

Am I the only one getting tired of all these FPS games? They're all starting to blend in together. Some one needs to try something new and point the gaming industry in a new direction....or Volition needs to make Freespace 3.

"the title is being repackaged as a sci-fi first-person shooter and will land sometime early next year on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3"

My guess is that is how he will know...

Classic Rock said:
"the title is being repackaged as a sci-fi first-person shooter and will land sometime early next year on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3"

The screenshots from the official website look pretty nice. I don't know, should I believe him, or the actual images? What a dilemma...

Also, there is no specific platform, its a multi-platform release. The fact that is also released on console does not equate to it being graphically similar. In fact, even mere console ports look better than their console counterparts, mainly because most PC versions allow setting configurations, and higher resolution set ups (as far as to how do they <i>play</i>, that's something else). So if the argument is that its graphics will be the reason why people won't get this game, then such argument is flawed.

Alternatively, its simply better to say because it's going to be an FPS remake of an RTT classic that you feel nostalgic about, that you won't get it; but as an FPS remake, there's really no reason why gamers shouldn't take a look, especially if the game aims to provide a satisfactory experience. Then again, to know if it does, it has to be released, so let's just wait until that day comes to formulate our own <i>objective</i> conclusions.

I'm more interested in playing the original game then playing the 1st person. the old one was the way to go. Just like shadowrun for the Sega Gensis..

Classic Rock said:

Take a look at Bad Company 2. I have it for both the 360 (before I had a gaming PC) and now the PC. Playing BC2 on 1920x1200 on ultra high settings completely blows the xbox version out of the water. A game can look completely different on the consoles than on the PC.

Lurker101 said:
lawfer said:
and considering that screenshot, it will also have the latter.

No. It'll have console grade graphics.
Like how BF3 has console grade graphics because it's going on console?

Oh, wait...

if they are going to remake this game they should make the game look like Syndicate Wars not some FPS style bs, we allrdy have too many of them!!!

I can't help but feel this is the Hollywood way out... many FPS game engines available. Easier to repackage it as an FPS than to develop a modern isometric tactical shooter version of the original. Hell even sticking it into a GTA type sandbox world would be more in line with the series' origins. Unless this gets some amazing and truthful reviews I'm not that interested. Others have hit the nail on the head... sure we like our FPS games, but we don't want every single game that comes out to be of the genre.

CO-OP! please make this coop... I just want more coop games... Dead Island is cool though...
Would like more coop games too :)

RH00D said:
Lurker101 said:
lawfer said:

Oh, wait...

Like how BF3 will just be BFBC2.5 because EA is lazy and only looking to make a quick cash in?

I don't see how anyone who played the beta did not notice this.

EA doesn't make PC games anymore, just ports.

Mood after reading the title: Trepidation
Mood after reading the article:

Guest said:
I'm more interested in playing the original game then playing the 1st person. the old one was the way to go. Just like shadowrun for the Sega Gensis..

Ahhh....the good old days :)

ramonsterns said:
RH00D said:
Lurker101 said:
lawfer said:

Oh, wait...

Like how BF3 will just be BFBC2.5 because EA is lazy and only looking to make a quick cash in?

I don't see how anyone who played the beta did not notice this.

EA doesn't make PC games anymore, just ports.

I'm sorry but I call BS.

Battlefield 3 is graphically superior to pretty much any engine released right now. To call it BC 2.5 is misleading at best.

Also, there was not beta, it was PRE-ALPHA software, specifically made for server stress testing. The map Metro was to test small scale maps with 32 players and to test the Battlelog website; the actual beta will test bigger maps with full 64 players and Battlelog/Origin support.

It's clear you don't know what you are talking about, but please next time just do some research.

Go Lawfer, I completely agree with you.
My friend was able to play the pre-alpha (lucky B*ast*rd) and he said it properly feels like next-gen stuff. Hell we went all out and built himself a very expensive rig for it!

I am soo looking forward to this game!

Pre-alpha, beta, who cares? The game has scripted destruction and the combat feels just like Bad Company 2. And BF3 wasn't made on PC, that's just bullshit EA feeds you.

This feels like Deus Ex copy while destroying any uniqueness the original game had.

Back