EA is confident that Battlefield Hardline "will work" on launch day

Shawn Knight

Staff member

battlefield hardline gaming ea traffic servers ian milham tokyo game show

Few things in gaming are more frustrating than trying to play the latest AAA title on launch day. More often than not, it ends up being an exercise in patience as traffic predictably overloads the game’s servers which in turn prevents you from being able to play with your friends (or in some cases, at all).

The general consensus among gamers is that companies are well aware that their servers won’t hold up under the load of launch day but the bean counters – those in the company that only care about money – won’t allow them to spend the extra funds for additional servers ahead of time. 

During a recent interview with Game Revolution during the 2014 Tokyo Game Show, Battlefield Hardline creative director Ian Milham was asked about the launch stability of the game. The question didn’t surprise him and yes, he said the game is going to work on launch day.

Milham pointed out that they began working on the game more than a year before Battlefield 4 came out. What’s more, they’ve already had one successful beta and plan to have another beta on every platform they ship on.

battlefield hardline gaming ea traffic servers ian milham tokyo game show

While he did admit that there may be some hiccups due to the size of the game and the fact that it’ll arrive on five different platforms, he is very confident that Hardline will be devoid of any major issues.

Could EA actually set precedent with Battlefield Hardline in which other companies must answer to? You know, where the norm is to actually get enough servers ready for a game’s launch ahead of time? It’s hard to tell by Milham’s comments as he seems to be focusing more on the game itself instead of the infrastructure that’ll be needed to support multiplayer.

Permalink to story.

5 platforms? Can't they have logically stuck to just 3? Oh right.. money needed to cover costs. Just seriously.. you're putting out physical copies for 5 platforms. Likely to see a good few of these, already tossed into the used section within a week. I for one won't even touch EA's games with a 30 foot pole, being the constant crap that it ends up becoming.

BF3 and BF4 both heavily pre-ordered, and to what avail? Oh right..downright nightmare start, and still numerous issues likely for players. People who get the PC version, expect a really nightmarish start and / or huge inclination to get a refund instead for better games.

EA is confident that Battlefield Hardline "will work" * on launch day

* As pursuant to EA's terms and conditions "Will work" is subject to change without prior notification. EA does not imply a minimum time duration for the working game, nor that all users are covered by the "will work" clause. EA are not liable for any user system instability incurred by running an EA game under Section 1 (HaHa We Got Your Money) subsection 1579321-F

I wont know because I for one am not buying it. Still waiting for BF4 to be out of beta and still feeling the pain of being ripped off by EA for a sub par piece of software, so Dice and Ea can go jump in the lake with this title.

I wont know because I for one am not buying it. Still waiting for BF4 to be out of beta and still feeling the pain of being ripped off by EA for a sub par piece of software, so Dice and Ea can go jump in the lake with this title.

Ops Dice aren't making this game but I still won't be buying it because of EA, unless it turns out to be something special.

It shouldn't be too bad. The Game engine is more mature now. The Beta played and felt more like a BF4 expansion pack anyway.

EA's confidence Hardline "will work" doesn't reassure me much. That's not a very high bar to set. Aside from some broken and thoughtlessly designed gameplay mechanics, BF4 has always generally "worked," strictly speaking. So did the Hardline beta. It would be nice to see them use some nuanced language that actually commits to something specific and doesn't leave them an out.

I wont be buying it for a number of reasons. It's basically a BF4 mod which I could have easily seen being made for free, if BF was open to modders, so no I'm not buying a mod. Also I don't in general buy EA games, ever, because I don't like their practices. I did buy BF4 premium as I'm a bit of a fps nut and always have been, so talked myself into it as I don't buy many games a year anyway. Also BF4 was and up until today at least is a messed up game after approx a year being out. I have just updated the game to the new patch that is supposed to fix many of the problems but haven't had a chance to see if it does yet as the game servers are down and updating right now. So no hardline basically because I refuse to pay for mods and dont like EA.

BS!!! I don't believe it for a second. The next time an EA title works reasonably smoothly on launch day will be the 1st time. EA are known to be the biggest money grabbing misers under the sun, they're so tight they squeak when they walk so obviously their server (they're far too cheap to buy more) is going to endure some serious strain.
I like what I've seen so far from this title so if the single player campaign (I couldn't care less about multiplayer) garners some good reviews I may still pick up a copy but only on a Steam sale, never on release day, I'm not into masochism.

"Could EA actually set precedent with Battlefield Hardline in which other companies must answer to?

Ummm..NO
With that said, I'll never know since I won't be buying it.

They said the same about BF3 and BF4 after the Beta glitches became well known.

It's all marketing hype, don't believe their lies. Take a wait and see approach.

I guess you'll never get it since EA only releases its games through Origin.
Then maybe they'll offer it for free one of these years like they did BF3 which I took them up on but haven't bothered to download and play yet. Anyway I couldn't care less if I ever play this game or not.

Who cares about working on launch day?

What about the month or two after, when players figure out 10 000 bugs and problems and then EA doesn't fix it or address the concerns at all.

Also Origin again? server browser running inside a website again? Not buying.

Back