EA offers full refunds on PC Origin titles within first 24 hours of play

Justin Kahn

origin

EA has launched a new sales option that will allow gamers to get their money back on Origin purchases they aren't satisfied with. The company will offer full refunds in 20 different countries starting today, and the option will roll out world wide over the next few weeks.

According to the official announcement posted earlier today, users are eligible for refunds within 24 hours after first launching the game, seven days from its purchase date, or within the first seven days after the game's release date if you pre-ordered it, whichever of these conditions happens first.

Refund requests still need to go through an approval process, but by the sound of it, gamers shouldn't have any issues. "If something doesn't work out—you aren’t riveted by the storyline, or sucked in by the action, or even just if the game doesn't play well with your video card—we’ve got your back," the announcement reads. 

EA is adamant on the new system's simplicity as well. According to the company, requesting a refund is quick and easy, you just head to your order history and hit the request refund button. Apparently there will be a few questions and then EA will handle it from there. It remains to be seen how flexible the company really is when handling these requests and how many of them will actually be fulfilled.

This refund option covers PC and Mac titles and is only available on games that are published by EA. Either way, the Origin Great Game Guarantee is an interesting move to differentiate the service from Steam, but it will be interesting to see how EA deals with those that try to abuse the 24 hour refund restriction.

Permalink to story.

Imagine if this was available when Sim City came out :)
It wouldn't have helped much. I'm sure the server issues would've prompted some people to ask for a refund within that 24-hour time window, but anyone who gave EA the time for the servers to calm down would've been screwed since the game's OTHER flaws needed several hours of gameplay to become apparent.

Aliens: Colonial Marines would be a better example of a game where launch day reviews exposed it for the pile of garbage that it was. Pity that Steam has a no refund policy, though I'm pretty sure that they were allowed for From Dust because of how bad that PC port was. I've also heard stories that if you ask really nicely you could get one refund for your account, but no more.

Why wasnt that there when I bought bf3 :eek: it was a waste of money :/ even if I could, I would gift it away.

BF3 is CoD with vehicles

Stop trolling guest its a known fact you need a hell of a lot more skill than CoD to play BF3 I mean you cant spray and pray you also dont spawn behind someone all the time there is a big difference in skill level required to play BF3 it pretty much requires a average IQ where as CoD you only need a IQ of 3 to play it.

CoO is that type of game where 1 bullet kills and you spawn directly behind people and people spawn directly behind you.... no skill required

Watch Steam introduce this policy soon lol.
What they need to do is make all the games with demo versions instead. I don't know for sure which games, I would be interested in. I'm not willing to spend allot of money to find out.

Stop trolling guest its a known fact you need a hell of a lot more skill than CoD to play BF3 I mean you cant spray and pray you also dont spawn behind someone all the time there is a big difference in skill level required to play BF3 it pretty much requires a average IQ where as CoD you only need a IQ of 3 to play it.

I like both COD and BF3. F me right?

While its nice to see the big EA pretending to care for their customers; they may regret this. There are a lot of "rage quitters" out there that aren't willing to think or give things a chance. I can see a lot of them buying a game, getting angry for anything from compatibility issues causing crashes to they are getting their butt kicked in online games so they decide they rage quit and want a refund.

24 hours isn't enough time in a lot of cases... I think it should be the first 24 hours of total gameplay. So if you play 4 hours a day you would be on the 6th day to make your decision.

What they need to do is make all the games with demo versions instead. I don't know for sure which games, I would be interested in. I'm not willing to spend allot of money to find out.

Yeah, demos should be a requirement. I feel like people should be able to try the game before they buy it. This may reduce piracy since people wont need to torrent the game to see how it is.

BF3 is like CoD when you compare them to BF2, 2142 etc before every game was a console port. Those games actually take skill.

Back