TechSpot

EA won't be bringing its high-end sports engine to the PC

By Shawn Knight
Jun 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. EA’s new Ignite Engine is clearly the future when it comes to next generation sports titles but unfortunately, that experience won’t be finding its way to the PC. The reason, according to EA Sports executive vice president Andrew Wilson, is...

Read more

2. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TS Booster Posts: 283   +40

Who cares if 'gamers don't have good enough hardware'?! You don't get games that run on your PC, you aim to get a PC that can run games, EA u r dum.

3. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Enthusiast Posts: 227   +54

It's just a roundabout way of saying, you don't need a sports title because the general PC hardware sucks. Instead of doing things to have it scale for various hardware configs, they'd rather keep it console exclusive and I don't mind. EA's never really won me over lately, with a lot of craptastic decisions.

H3llion, psycros and Arris like this.
  4. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 907   +241

I agree with BlueDrake. I think theyy are underestimating consumer rigs. We don't all have AMD 970's and a 7770.
    I would bet my old rig runs it quite well.

5. For fifa 2011 ea finally released a game on pc that was essentially the same as on consoles (but pc obviously has higher resolution) . I have enjoyed fifa 2011 fifa 2012 and fifa 13 on pc but if fifa 14 is going to being a crappy reskin of fifa 13 without the new engine they can go to hell.
    if your pc cant run it then get a better one or get a console!! another smart move by ea

6. No. The issue isn't hardware. It's the fact that EA doesn't want to put it on the PC where modders can do their own roster and stadium updates and graphic improvements; thus eliminating their cash cow of releasing annual editions with minimal upgrades to the gameplay.

Ultraman1966 and ETF Soldier like this.
  7. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 752   +240

EA can suck it. 90% of everything they touch turns to crap. Its so bad their driving developers away from their house of horrors. I hope they either start being a real game publishing company again or go extinct.

Darkshadoe likes this.
  8. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

Well I guess I'm in the top 1% with my rig then, 4770k at 4.5, 16gb ram, 2 gtx 780s in sli and 2560 x 1600 30 inch display. Can run any game at max and any game coming within the next year easily and yet people like me get the shaft because there just aren't enough of us to make them cater to PC games first, they cater to the kiddies on so called next gen consoles. At least I have BF4 to look forward to in all its glory in 4 months as well as Arma 3 a game that even the next gen consoles couldn't run at my resolution.

havok585 and H3llion like this.
  9. This is really stupid, like if all the PC's can handle EA's BF3 frostbite2 or the upcoming BF3 frostbite3 engine.

10. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 408   +79

EA is at it again. The only thing they have not trashed yet is Battle Field.

11. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 893   +172

12. I think what EA is really trying to say is they do not want to support the Windows 8 poc OS.

13. Its weird that doesnt sound like a bussiness answer, its more likely saying that the users are guilty of that decision, but surely they are making that move to profit, of course they will have an easy way of profiting woith the consoles than the PC, so its an excuse to not get mad the general users and screw up more their reputation

14. I would probably agree with EA at this point.

IMO .. Hardcore PC gamers with good hardware are not interested in SPORT games ... and they are better with a controller anyways.. so hardcore gamers will also own a console.

and any SPORT game person is not interested in PC's .. so they will have an old PC with IGX or something. but will also own a console for their sports games.
    hum .. makes scenes ..

15. backo

backo TS Member Posts: 58   +8

Considering that the new consoles are mid range PCs... porting the games to PC should be fairly easy. EA just doesn't want to do it.

16. 122jimbo

122jimbo TS Rookie

Fine if 2k brings there sports to PC they got a buy from me! EA's Basketball games are terrible

H3llion likes this.
  17. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 530   +88

Good. I don't know a single PC gamer who wants to play a crappy soccer game anyway.

18. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 974   +99

I am liking what 2K are doing, though I do want Mafia 3 ASAP!! :D

19. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 462   +84

Ea completed to destroy simcity, now their next project is to piss off PC users even further by insulting their rigs and saying that consoles are more powerful.

Just lol...

20. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,262   +1,551

I don't have a console and I'm not into sports games either. I guess EA is thinking most PC owners are not interested, such as myself.

avoidz and dennis777 like this.
  21. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,064   +919

It should be the other way around! **Face palm**

22. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TS Booster Posts: 283   +40

Aye, we don't want it anyway, it would only contribute to the success of Origin, which is the greatest insult to PC gaming there is.

23. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Maniac Posts: 1,001   +103

LOL@the "alternative reasons" for EA sports games bypassing the PC.

24. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Enthusiast Posts: 227   +54

They are the sole reason, I won't find any joy with games they make. Also any reason BF isn't screwed up, is because they are just publishing the game. If they had more direct control over developing, then we'd see the game tank like many other franchises from them.

25. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

I agree, they could have said it like that.

ETF Soldier likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.