EA won't be bringing its high-end sports engine to the PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ea

EA’s new Ignite Engine is clearly the future when it comes to next generation sports titles but unfortunately, that experience won’t be finding its way to the PC. The reason, according to EA Sports executive vice president Andrew Wilson, is because a large number of EA sports fans don’t have the necessary hardware needed to power the new engine.

News that the engine isn’t coming to PC really shouldn’t be a huge surprise at this point considering FIFA Soccer is the only sports game on the company’s roster released for PC on an annual basis. Unlike other sports titles that are only popular in North America, FIFA remains popular around the globe.

It’s an issue that EA has faced before, however. FIFA games released on current generation consoles used a more advanced engine than what was available for the PC from 2005 through 2009. Wilson noted that there were some PCs on the market that could have run the engine but the lion’s share of systems wouldn’t have been up to the task.

FIFA 11 was the first PC release that used console-level technology to boost graphics and animation.

Even if gamers did have beefy enough hardware for the Ignite Engine, it would still be difficult to port to the PC because the engine was built for console architecture. Wilson said it has to do with how the CPU, GPU and RAM work together in a special type of environment.

It’s also worth pointing out that the Wii U will not receive the Ignite Engine treatment either – again, not a big surprise considering Madden won’t be released on Nintendo’s latest console this year either.

Permalink to story.

Who cares if 'gamers don't have good enough hardware'?! You don't get games that run on your PC, you aim to get a PC that can run games, EA u r dum.

It's just a roundabout way of saying, you don't need a sports title because the general PC hardware sucks. Instead of doing things to have it scale for various hardware configs, they'd rather keep it console exclusive and I don't mind. EA's never really won me over lately, with a lot of craptastic decisions.

I agree with BlueDrake. I think theyy are underestimating consumer rigs. We don't all have AMD 970's and a 7770.
I would bet my old rig runs it quite well.

For fifa 2011 ea finally released a game on pc that was essentially the same as on consoles (but pc obviously has higher resolution) . I have enjoyed fifa 2011 fifa 2012 and fifa 13 on pc but if fifa 14 is going to being a crappy reskin of fifa 13 without the new engine they can go to hell.
if your pc cant run it then get a better one or get a console!! another smart move by ea

No. The issue isn't hardware. It's the fact that EA doesn't want to put it on the PC where modders can do their own roster and stadium updates and graphic improvements; thus eliminating their cash cow of releasing annual editions with minimal upgrades to the gameplay.

EA can suck it. 90% of everything they touch turns to crap. Its so bad their driving developers away from their house of horrors. I hope they either start being a real game publishing company again or go extinct.

Well I guess I'm in the top 1% with my rig then, 4770k at 4.5, 16gb ram, 2 gtx 780s in sli and 2560 x 1600 30 inch display. Can run any game at max and any game coming within the next year easily and yet people like me get the shaft because there just aren't enough of us to make them cater to PC games first, they cater to the kiddies on so called next gen consoles. At least I have BF4 to look forward to in all its glory in 4 months as well as Arma 3 a game that even the next gen consoles couldn't run at my resolution.

This is really stupid, like if all the PC's can handle EA's BF3 frostbite2 or the upcoming BF3 frostbite3 engine.

I think what EA is really trying to say is they do not want to support the Windows 8 poc OS.

Its weird that doesnt sound like a bussiness answer, its more likely saying that the users are guilty of that decision, but surely they are making that move to profit, of course they will have an easy way of profiting woith the consoles than the PC, so its an excuse to not get mad the general users and screw up more their reputation

I would probably agree with EA at this point.

IMO .. Hardcore PC gamers with good hardware are not interested in SPORT games ... and they are better with a controller anyways.. so hardcore gamers will also own a console.

and any SPORT game person is not interested in PC's .. so they will have an old PC with IGX or something. but will also own a console for their sports games.
hum .. makes scenes ..

Considering that the new consoles are mid range PCs... porting the games to PC should be fairly easy. EA just doesn't want to do it.

Good. I don't know a single PC gamer who wants to play a crappy soccer game anyway.

Ea completed to destroy simcity, now their next project is to piss off PC users even further by insulting their rigs and saying that consoles are more powerful.

Just lol...

It's just a roundabout way of saying, you don't need a sports title because the general PC hardware sucks. Instead of doing things to have it scale for various hardware configs, they'd rather keep it console exclusive and I don't mind. EA's never really won me over lately, with a lot of craptastic decisions.

Aye, we don't want it anyway, it would only contribute to the success of Origin, which is the greatest insult to PC gaming there is.

Aye, we don't want it anyway, it would only contribute to the success of Origin, which is the greatest insult to PC gaming there is.

They are the sole reason, I won't find any joy with games they make. Also any reason BF isn't screwed up, is because they are just publishing the game. If they had more direct control over developing, then we'd see the game tank like many other franchises from them.

Back