Eating Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. My PC seems to enjoy eating power supplies. I recently had a problem with it and replaced the power supply. It booted two or three times only to have the problem repeated. When I boot up, nothing is displayed (the screen doesn't even come out of sleep mode). There is a long beep that is repeated, which I believe is a BIOS error beep. All components have power, even the video card which I had suspected was dead because of the display problem. Like I said, this was fixed when I replaced the power supply but has started again. Any ideas?
Cheers!

Was the new PSU of sufficient wattage to handle the power requirements of the PC?
Also, it may be that a component has a short which is killing the PSUs - did anything not work properly when you got your 2 or 3 boots?

The power supply is 480 watts, and there were no problems noticed with the previous boots. It simply seems to have decided to go back on the fritz. I remember being able to access both hard drives, and both disc drives were working. Could be the video card or mobo then I suppose?

480 watt sounds more than adequate.
Long single beep will depend on the mobo - have a look in the manual or on the net for the error codes.

BIOS beeps indicate hardware failure. Read the guide in the guides forum.

If you have flakey power, get an UPS and a surge protector.

Also test your PSU with a psu tool and multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back