eBay seller tips

Are you new to ebay or an existing seller, there is a lot I can tell you as an Ebay seller myself..

Regards

I am new, started today basically selling some old books I no longer need. Any tips would be superb!

Start off selling small, lower priced items to build up your feedback. Once you become somewhat repuatable, with maybe 20 feedback, then sell any higher priced items, as people will trust you more, and likely bid more.

Make sure you do everything you can too make the customer happy. Ship the item as soon as possable, i try to get stuff out either the same day, or the next day after they pay.

List the item exactly how it is. Do not hide anything. If your selling a cell phone because the call button doesn't work, make sure you say that.

Insure high priced items with delivery conformation.

You get more for items when they end on sunday, its been proven.

Save yourself money by starting items off at a lower price. If i expect to get $300 off a video card, i will start it at $9.99.

This attracts more bidders, trust me it will sell for the same amount as if you started it at $199.99, and quite possably even more, and you will also save on fees.

Only use reserves if you really feel it is necessary..as they tend to detour bidders.

Do not argue with the buyer. Do not risk negative feedback. Communicate, let the buyer know when you ship the item, give them the tracking #, and thank them for there payment.

On higher priced items, (about $300+), i tend to deny bids from people with 0 feedback. Alot of times they are unregistered, scammers. I have had my auctions screwed over too many times be these bidders.

Get the full picture by doing a number of Google searchs for full information, then look for the training and support offered on eBay itself.
If you are planning to do a lot of buying or selling, buy an eBay book on eBay or www.Amazon.com.

I have been an eBay seller and buyer for 9 years. This is a very satisfactory way to do business and to get things unavailable elsewhere, but also has more crooks than any place I have ever been.

The trick is to study thoroughly what goes on. You must realize there is a good solid reason for every rule you find posted at www.ebay.com

If you talk to somebody who has never been taken on eBay, they don't have enough experience from which to learn.

That being said, you can make a very nice living on eBay if you work at it... that are a lot of businesses that clear over $200,000 a year.

scout around for going prices. Start your bid about 20% below the average rate include cost of selling in your price to include ebay and paypal fees. Do not leave feedback until buyer is satisfied and leaves you feedback. Do not accept bids from zero or low feedback bidders unless they contact you by email first. (lowers chance of non paying bidders). Always accept paypal. Be very precise with your description and include a photo of your item. For books ensure your description matches half.com book ratings (a division of ebay - also consider listing there). Ensure your photo is clear. If you have poor eyesight, let someone else take a picture. Fuzzy or distorted photos will ensure no bids.

Do NOT overcharge on shipping. Adding $2-3 for gas and expenses on top of postage is acceptable.

Be very clear on return policies. Understand THERE is NO SUCH THING as NO REFUNDS on ebay. If someone buys and pays with a credit card, they can ALWAYS return the item via a chargeback EVEN IF paypal rules in your favor.
Stating no returns merely discourages this.

Ensure your description uses correct spelling and grammar. You don't want to appear to be a ***** as a seller. This discourages buyers.

List on the correct days. Some days a better sellers than others. Most people surf ebay in the evenings and on weekends. End your auctions accordingly.

If you accept international bids, ensure you know how to deal with international bidders. Price your shipping accordingly. Do not accept anything other than paypal with international bids. Do not ever ship an item until paid for. EVER.

I know that ebay in the USA differs alot from in australia. Alot of people tend to sell even with low feedback and that isnt a problem. Sometimes I sell with reduced postal charge etc. I have even sent an item before money had fully cleared and it was never a problem, all comes down to trust.

From my experience on ebay, most sellers have been very trust worthy, so just keep in mind, what would you want from a seller.

Theres a day left for me to sell my revision book and I have got 1 watcher, can I find out who this is?

We have been cheated 8 times... lied to five times, and happy 246 times in eBay purchasing transactions... we don't sell on eBay because we don't have the time it takes to deal with all the squirrely customer service.

Back