Eccentric millionaire John McAfee is running for president

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Eccentric millionaire John McAfee – of McAfee anti-virus fame – is running for president. McAfee filed the necessary paperwork with the Federal Election Commission on Tuesday according to a report from The Hill.

Regardless of your political views, one has to believe this will certainly spice up next year’s presidential race.

In the filing, McAfee said he would be founding a new political party that’s yet to be announced. On Twitter, McAfee said he plans to make an official announcement on September 9 (tomorrow) at 6pm ET. In the interim, he’s launched a website to support the campaign.

In an interview with Wired that was published hours before his confirmation, McAfee said he was still in a quandary about whether to run himself or find someone else to run for his party. He got the idea to run after fielding thousands of e-mail from people urging him to do so. It’s not something he would just choose to do on his own, McAfee said.

What would be McAfee’s platform? Cyber security, of course.

He told the publication that the government is broken because its leaders don’t adequately understand technology, citing the recent hacks of the US Office of Personnel Management and Homeland Security as examples. McAfee added that the government urging tech companies to install backdoors into their systems is yet another sign that politicans simply don't get it.

Permalink to story.

It was only a matter of time before someone tried to challenge Trump by jumping the shark.

Seriously? His software didn't work half the time, why should we expect him to do any better? Frankly, if I'm going to vote for a former software developer I would nominate Peter Norton ... at least his tools were reasonably useful ... a claim that the past half dozen presidents certainly can't claim! LOL

If he wants to use his software as his reputation, I've got some bad news for him; it's not that good. Heck, it's one of the first things I uninstall because of how annoying it can get.

Seriously? His software didn't work half the time, why should we expect him to do any better? Frankly, if I'm going to vote for a former software developer I would nominate Peter Norton ... at least his tools were reasonably useful ... a claim that the past half dozen presidents certainly can't claim! LOL
Oh, I don't know. I'd bet well over a half dozen of our former presidents could claim they were tools. Plus, their constituency would back them up on that assessment.

Although, you must be joking about Norton, aren't you? If you weren't, I'd say you never experienced mid-ninety's Norton AV, in its "defense" of IE-6...:D

Anyway, back to topic. The last I heard about McAfee, he was being hunted, ostensibly for murder, in some Latin American country...

But then, I'd venture to say the Republican Party likely hasn't fielded enough candidates yet. IT could probably stand at least a half dozen more, to fill up the tool box, so to speak..;)

Last edited:
The last I heard about McAfee, he was being hunted, ostensibly for murder, in some Latin American country...
Wasn't he also going by name Pablo there? :)

I think, between you and me, we've got his election campaign wrapped up ;)

Last edited:
Wasn't he also going by name Pablo there? :) ....[ ].....
Hmm, "Pablo" huh? I think I've found McCafaron's campaign song:
Now, every time "Pancho" appears in the lyrics, you sing "Pablo". Check?

Here's a version with Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan. If you can withstand Dylan's singing, you earn the right to paint your face blue, and call yourself "Braveheart". This is definitely NOT for the faint of heart.

It's not at all surprising. Compared to the rest of the worlds presidents this guy would make a sensible choice. Hell! Even Charles Manson would look good.

Saw the news earlier. His software worked for s*** under his reign...I can only imagine the good he'd do /s

One thing is for sure. At this moment I would vote for anyone, just to get the arrogant sh_t_ss we have out of office.
You and me both. Unfortunately no one cares anymore, so it'll be like this for our lifetimes probably. As long as people continue to vote as if it were only a 2 party system, and don't actually vote on what the candidate will do, but rather how they look or what they have, it won't change. Really sad when you get right down to it.

Maybe if the antivirus software was worth a damn I'd consider voting for him... but its not, so I'm not even going to consider this beyond this point. ...lol

Sucking at virus removal is irrelevant to political topics. That's like saying you don't want someone driving across country, when they suck at swimming. Lets at least hear everyone's political views, before turning our back on them.

Back