Echo on ALL audio playback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have for the last week noticed I have an obvious echo on all media playback, wether it a recently bought DVD, Mpeg or Avi File, Windows alert sounds, Mp3 (allough not as noticable as the others).

Its quite irritating and means watching any DVD's is almost impossible, its also distorting mp3 playback.

Does anyone know what could suddenly start causing this? Or how I could remedy the situation?

The only program I can recolect installing recently is a Tom Clancy Game, infact i am quite suspicious of this game, as its where I first noticed the echo. Could this be anything to do with EAX? I would presume not as I have taken off EAX in the game options to no avail.

Any help Greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Rob

--> I only managed to dig up one relavent old post
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2606&highlight=echo

seems to be a similar problem but not much use

Hmm, what kind of sound card do you have in your system? Are you using any special EQ progs or tools? If so, you may want to check the settings on those to see it took over your sound and is putting reverb on everything coming out.

reading the title of the thread i first thought EAX, to be honest.

Like Scol says, look for any EQ's that may have suspicious settings on them to, it's a software thing for sure, i've never known a piece of hardware to do something like this when defective.

You may also want to check your speaker settings, some games tend to change them, also check surround sound settings. Some cards try to mimic surround sound on a stereo system, check if this has been enabled.

If all else fails uninstall sound software then reinstall.

Good Luck

I've got a Sb Live and thats happens to me sometimes for no reason.

When I fix mine I go to Audio HQ and then to EAX control panel and reset all settings and disable effects. This usually works for me.

this may be an incredibly silly suggestion, but have you got a microphone connected up to your computer that youve moved closer to your speakers recently?

just a thought.....:)

What Soundcard have you installed? Seems you accidentally applied an EAX preset applied to everything. The game would have nothing to do with that.

I have Avance AC'97 Audio (i presume its Onboard sound as I have a laptop). I really have no idea on how to rectify this, as there are no settings that i can find that have an effect.

Edit:

My soundcard does not support EAX, and i dont have a microphone connected

well obviously i'd say try uninstalling that game and seeing if it does anything. i can't imagine anything in volume control would affect this, but check your volume control anyways. double click the speaker icon and unhide all the options. if there is a 3d sound control, and that's set all the way up that can create this echo sound and make it sound horrible. other than that i too was thinking EAX, but you say you don't have it so i'm stumped.

Try uninstalling your sound card drivers via the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel. Then remove your sound card from the device manager. Reboot your computer and reinstall the latest drivers for your sound card.

While looking in the sound settings untick microphone if it is ticked, some laptops have a microphone built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back