TechSpot

EIDE to SATA

By HitmanAngel2k3
Jun 15, 2007
  1. I'm in a process of building new PC, and majority of new mobos have SATAs on them, but all of my HDDs from previous system are EIDE...is there a way to connect EIDEs to SATAs? If yeah, where can i find the parts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

3. HitmanAngel2k3

HitmanAngel2k3 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 58

So I would have to hook up that box to each drive? I got 5 HDDs

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Yep. With that many IDE devices you'd be better off picking up 2 PCI IDE controller cards. Or using this as a good excuse to pick up some new sata devices.

5. Phantombadger

Phantombadger TS Rookie Posts: 20

OR This or this one. they are small chips that plug into the back of your paralell ATA drive and convert it to Serial. these are only about an inch and a half wide, so if you dont have much room I'd recommend a Controller card. This one here supports upto 4 IDE drives, with the right cable. and this one is 19.99, 4 drives and is pretty small. its really upto you. but I'd recommend converting over to SATA.

6. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

With that many hard drives, you are better off finding an EIDE case, or jumping up to SATA drives... they are very cheap now...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.