TechSpot

Elgato unveils iOS-connected home monitoring system, smart bulb, and intelligent battery

1. Just a week ahead of Apple's September 9 media event, Munich, Germany-based company Elgato has announced a new lineup of smart home accessories including the home monitoring system Eve, the Avea smart LED light bulb, and the Smart Power intelligent...

Read more

2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,564   +2,372

These systems will all work perfectly fine until some cunning bastard plants the idea in their coding that they shouldn't listen to the homeowner. At that point, it will be one nightmare after another.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

Some day you will be talking to the bulb, and it will be talking back....;)

4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,564   +2,372

Only for the first few days. Once I shoot down a few of its thoughts with condescending lightbulb remarks, it'll be back to mute bulbs. I'm personally holding on this snide little gem: "How ironically dim..."

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,059

Yeah. More rubbish to break down, buggy software to contend with and more unnecessary expenses. To hell with this smarthouse fad, I'll just Keep It Simple Stupid.

6. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

Nothing beats an ol'school fireplace on a cold evening :)

7. I hate to sound like the grumpy old man who hates technology, but this is just stupid. Any homeowner will tell you that enough stuff breaks in a house as it is. We don't need it all attached to some "smart" device destined to break down and cost a fortune to fix as well.

Not to mention some security hack that's almost sure to happen. Imagine coming home and all your lights got hacked and are turned to RED. Good luck with that.