Elgato unveils iOS-connected home monitoring system, smart bulb, and intelligent battery

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Just a week ahead of Apple's September 9 media event, Munich, Germany-based company Elgato has announced a new lineup of smart home accessories including the home monitoring system Eve, the Avea smart LED light bulb, and the Smart Power intelligent battery.

Eve allows you to monitor conditions like air quality, temperature, humidity, air pressure, and energy and water consumption in your home. The system uses a line of sensors to harvest information, and Bluetooth to feed the data gathered into the Eve app for iOS.

The company says the setup will be fully compatible with Apple's upcoming HomeKit smart home technology.

Joining Eve is the Avea smart LED bulb, which connects directly to an iPhone or iPad using Bluetooth, and lets you to control colors and lighting scenes from your device, allowing you to set the mood with an appropriate shade of light.

The smart bulb also offers a wake-up feature to start your day without an alarm.

Lastly, Smart Power is a 6000 mAh intelligent portable power device, offering features like adaptive charging, automatic PowerMinder notifications, optional calendar integration, and more.

Elgato claims that the device can charge an empty iPhone three times.

As for the pricing, Avea and Smart Power are available for $49.95 and $99.95, respectively, while Elgato hasn't yet revealed the price of Eve. All the three devices will be showcased at this year's IFA trade show in Berlin.

Permalink to story.

These systems will all work perfectly fine until some cunning bastard plants the idea in their coding that they shouldn't listen to the homeowner. At that point, it will be one nightmare after another.

These systems will all work perfectly fine until some cunning bastard plants the idea in their coding that they shouldn't listen to the homeowner. At that point, it will be one nightmare after another.

Some day you will be talking to the bulb, and it will be talking back....;)

Some day you will be talking to the bulb, and it will be talking back....;)

Only for the first few days. Once I shoot down a few of its thoughts with condescending lightbulb remarks, it'll be back to mute bulbs. I'm personally holding on this snide little gem: "How ironically dim..."

Yeah. More rubbish to break down, buggy software to contend with and more unnecessary expenses. To hell with this smarthouse fad, I'll just Keep It Simple Stupid.

I hate to sound like the grumpy old man who hates technology, but this is just stupid. Any homeowner will tell you that enough stuff breaks in a house as it is. We don't need it all attached to some "smart" device destined to break down and cost a fortune to fix as well.

Not to mention some security hack that's almost sure to happen. Imagine coming home and all your lights got hacked and are turned to RED. Good luck with that.

Back