Elon Musk asks for public footage of SpaceX rocket explosion

Shawn Knight

Staff member

SpaceX earlier this month suffered an unfortunate – and no doubt costlyincident during a routine pre-launch static test fire. Something went wrong on the launch pad which caused a massive explosion that destroyed both the Falcon 9 rocket and an AMOS-6 communications satellite set to launch a couple of days later.

Now, SpaceX needs your help in determining the cause of the explosion.

On Twitter earlier today, SpaceX founder Elon Musk said they’re still working on the investigation and that it’s turning out to be the most difficult and complex failure in the company’s 14-year history. Musk added that it’s important to note that it happened during a routine filling operation where the engines were not on and there was no apparent heat source.

He also publicly asked for support and advice from NASA, the Federal Aviation Administration and the Air Force Public Affairs Agency. Of particular interest, he said, is a quieter bang sound a few seconds before the fireball goes off.

If anyone has audio, photos or videos of the incident, Musk kindly asks that you send them to report@spacex.com as the material may be useful in the investigation.

As TechCrunch notes, there are some users on YouTube that believe an external object may have struck the rocket which led to the explosion. Musk this morning said they have not yet ruled that out as a possibility.

Some conspiracy theorists, meanwhile, suggest the rocket was destroyed intentionally either by competing firms or aliens.

Permalink to story.

I can see why the aliens would be concerned. Private launches actually have a chance of getting us back on the track to exploring the solar system, and that might lead to us checking out planet X where the aliens reside...

I wouldn't rule out industrial sabotage, either. This industry is poised for explosive growth.

I just realized what I typed.

Musk needs to ask the "Daily Star for their UFO attack footage:

spacex-explodes-on-launch-pad-542878.jpg

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...-rocket-explosion-elon-musk-falcon-9-attacked Previously published link courtesy of @davislane1

I can see why the aliens would be concerned. Private launches actually have a chance of getting us back on the track to exploring the solar system, and that might lead to us checking out planet X where the aliens reside...
Why do you think they blew up the rocket in the first place? To keep us away from them.

I wouldn't rule out industrial sabotage, either. This industry is poised for explosive growth.

I just realized what I typed.
OK, you got the "like" on the strength of that paragraph. That first one is pure nonsense.

Aliens??? Seriously???? Doesn't he understand that pressurized venting of fuel is (a) highly combustible and (b) creates considerable static charge around the nozzle. The first question he should ask was if there was any form of grounding or static suppression on or around the nozzle and 2nd, if they were simply conducting a motor test, why would they need to fill the rocket to the point that it was so heavily venting fuel vapors? That hunk of junk in the frozen frame could be anything, but since the reaction started at the vent, it would be most likely part of the vent.

Of course, if the Aliens in the area will please come forward and admit to their crime, I will take it all back and simply to back to charging my Illudium Space Decentigrator ......

Aliens??? Seriously???? Doesn't he understand that pressurized venting of fuel is (a) highly combustible and (b) creates considerable static charge around the nozzle. ..[ ].....
Musk really doesn't understand much beyond how to say things which bring him attention. The actual, make it work, technical sh!t, he bullies some poor brainwashed fool into doing for him..

Listen closely to the clip (but be ready to mute if you have the sound turned up..as I learned) - sound like that of a monkey wrench hitting an almost empty oil tank before any visible signs. I agree with Musk, I should very much like to see any HD videos - especially with a synchronized sound track. Just be aware what Wikipedia says of .50 caliber munitions, "Fifty caliber (and larger) rounds have the potential to travel great distances if fired in an artillery-like fashion, necessitating the observance of large safety margins when firing on a range." .... like 5 miles.

My First reaction was that this was the work of the United Launch Alliance, aka, LockheedBoeing...

Aliens??? Seriously???? Doesn't he understand that pressurized venting of fuel is (a) highly combustible and (b) creates considerable static charge around the nozzle. ..[ ].....
Musk really doesn't understand much beyond how to say things which bring him attention. The actual, make it work, technical sh!t, he bullies some poor brainwashed fool into doing for him..
To be fair, isn't bullying other people into doing your job for you what CEOs do?

To be fair, isn't bullying other people into doing your job for you what CEOs do?
But how is this fair though? Now that the secret is out, everyone will want to be Elon Musk. Then, everyone, even you Prince @yRaz, will have to hold on to their wallets.
Just be aware what Wikipedia says of .50 caliber munitions, "Fifty caliber (and larger) rounds have the potential to travel great distances if fired in an artillery-like fashion, necessitating the observance of large safety margins when firing on a range." .... like 5 miles.
Unless the army, or another entity has inverted steerable, homing bullets, (not impossible, but not particularly likely either), the accuracy @ 5 miles can't be all that much..

Unlikely that they would have issue with expanding the internet into deepest Africa...but there are some actors in the region who would have an issue...
Really, especially South Africa. God knows, they're probably glad to be rid of him in the first place. I would suck if everybody in Africa had to listen to Musk go on about traveling to Mars, especially if someone and their family are busy being blown to pieces in Aleppo.

Last edited:
@captaincranky

"Unless the army, or another entity has inverted steerable, homing bullets, (not impossible, but not particularly likely either), the accuracy @ 5 miles can't be all that much.."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...yards-shooting-the-17000-linux-powered-rifle/

https://www.xproducts.com/product/50-cal-api-ammunition-50-bmg/

If you can correct for windage, hitting it isn't too hard, its 230 ft tall. I would guess drop at that distance would be 20-30 ft. but I would have to consult ballistics tables to be sure.

You know, when all the fun and speculation about this event is over the story might just boil down to this.

Musk is asking for this footage so he can portray himself "a victim", in yet another of his bullsh!t fiestas.

Before he ever opened his mouth, he was well aware those launches take place on restricted military land.

Accordingly, any public footage, is going to be from miles away. In other words, a puff of smoke on the horizon.

The man is routinely full of sh!t, and this event is no exception.

With the rocket exploding, I guess we'll never know if Space X was operating at a profit or loss this quarter, fair and square.

Tesla routinely operates at a loss. Last quarter he "modeled" his imaginary "designer space suit", (which BTW, of which, there weren't even pictures to be seen), while in another place out of the public eye, Tesla Motors lost about $250,000,000 dollars.

Sometimes failing businesses stage insurance fires. Once upon a more honest but politically incorrect age, electrical fires came to be known as "Jewish lightning".

So, you're fueling a rocket and it blows up...meh. To quote Bruce Springsteen, "you can't stark a fire without a spark"

In case you think I made that term up, please consult: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jewish_lightning Along with many, many other sources.

Here's some public footage of the event:

Now let's see, what did we learn from that? Oh right, that an iPhone can't replace an actual video camera...:D

Last edited:
Now let's see, what did we learn from that? Oh right, that a iPhone can't replace an actual video camera...:D

Looks like the death of STEM-to-riches to me. I couldn't see a single high-end sports car in that parking lot. And, off in the distance, you can see the residue of excellent sales skills rising up into the sky.

Salaciously Trading on Exaggeration and Misrepresentation...... @davislane 1 Did you mean that "STEM"?

Or maybe.... "M", as in, "Manipulation"
Looks like the death of STEM-to-riches to me. I couldn't see a single high-end sports car in that parking lot. And, off in the distance, you can see the residue of excellent sales skills rising up into the sky.
Nor for that matter, a Tesla!

Last edited:
Unlikely that they would have issue with expanding the internet into deepest Africa...but there are some actors in the region who would have an issue...
I was being sarcastic. I live in Africa and I wouldn't have minded seeing a satellite hovering over the continent delivering high speed internet. That said, boosters self destructing on the launch pad is nothing new, it's often happened and will continue to do so. I doubt very much foul play is at work here.

I was being sarcastic. I live in Africa and I wouldn't have minded seeing a satellite hovering over the continent delivering high speed internet. That said, boosters self destructing on the launch pad is nothing new, it's often happened and will continue to do so. I doubt very much foul play is at work here.
More than likely not. But you can bet your last dollar that Musk would love to make you think there is.

"Woe is me, they're out to get me! It's because I'm a visionary. Blah, blah, blah"! :'(

He can't accept responsibility, or people might stop asking him to launch their satellites.

Back