Emachine CPU upgrade advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdexter1

My friend has a emachine t3516 with a 3.2 ghz Celeron D cpu
I advised him to upgrade to a P4 but now I see that The Mobo also supports a Pentium D. Is this a better cpu than a p4?

Also his MB has 533 FSB where as the pentium D has 800. is this a compatability problem?

He is getting into games so I have to tweak his system by Upgrading the CPU and installing a graphics & sound card.

Any advise on this would be great.

Well a Pentium D is Dual core, its a very cheap set of Dual cores, but keep in mind they dont support hyper threading. Since there Dual cores, they can handle more, like a dual 3.0Ghz, running u about 150 bucks is better than a single 3.0ghz p4... So read some more, its ez to understand, id say pentium d, but its a cheap dual, id go with a conroe if u were thinking dual. but since its not mobo compatibly, dont lol.

before you do anything -replace the PSU on the emachine before it takes out the rest of your system. Read the FAQs.

Tedster said:
before you do anything -replace the PSU on the emachine before it takes out the rest of your system. Read the FAQs.

Yes Tedster,
if they replace or change anything, the first thing should be the power supply. I could imagine after all the upgrading, this Emachines may not work again

I have a Biostar u8668D MOBO in my sustem that came with a celeon D and it just wouldn't play games. Had alot of freeze ups, jrky movement, etc. So I switched to a P4 and the machine ran smooth as ice and is still a very stable machine.

The PSU failed and that's all.

So why wouldn't a CPU upgrade help this machine?

That board can handle up to a pentium D which would be a significant improvement. That system is obviously post-gateway since it has an intel motherboard rather than the cheesy boards emachines is so famious for. Since that system was built after gateway bought emachines the quality should be significantly better than older emachines but I still recomend a new Powersupply since OEM PSUs in general are week and low quality.

Here are the board secs:
http://www.emachine-upgraders.info/dir1/motherboards/socket775/D101GGC.shtml

Yes, I worked on an Emachines recently that had an MSI board. I could clearly see MSI's part number, and I was able to get the drivers directly from MSI's website... I was extremely happy about this

Tedster said:
a celeron is not a gaming CPU and it is an ultra-low budget processor.

Oh Tedster,
It's an Emachines... What the heck is the difference which CPU as long as it works. I use a Celeron D Prescott and it performs ok

makes a big difference.

1. A celeron won't give you the processing power for serious games.
2. The el cheapo hardware of an emachine won't give you the support or backing. In addition you are thowing good money after bad. You could very well toast your newer components by putting them on cheap and unstable emachines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back