eMachine has power but won't even attempt to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has an eMachine model 2825. It is only 2 years old. One minute is working fine. He walked away for a few minutes and when he came back the monitor had the OSD up but you could not control the screen. It almost appeared frozen. So, naturally I first tried to restart the machine. The same thing happened on startup. I turned the machine off and tried eMachine support...useless because it's out of warranty. When I attempted to power it up again, nothing happened. The fan didn't come on...no lights. So, I replaced the power supply. Now it comes on but doesn't attempt to boot. The OSD comes up on the monitor. My other son had a newer eMachine. I've tried the monitor with his tower and the monitor itself for the 2825 works fine. When I tried a different monitor with the 2825, it was blank. I'm assuming that the OSD comes on because it isn't getting a signal. Any suggestions as to what I should try next?

Make sure you got ALL cables reconnected properly (incl. the P4-cable if it has an Intel CPU). Reseat memory and any cards you have. Check that all fans are plugged in and working at bootup.
If you got an exact same replacement powersupply, that's your problem.
Emachines are crappy to begin with, and the parts they use are mostly in the same category.
Return that PSU and get a brand-name PSU, such as Forton or Enermax or Antec, with minimum 350W.
Or borrow one like that from a non-emachine PC (or your friendly neighbour) just to be sure.

Power Supply

I was not getting this machine (T2825) to turn any power at all so I changed out the power supply with a different one. The power now comes on and the blue light on the front comes on, however, the fan starts up very briefly and then stops. I cannot get this machine to boot. I have checked all the cabling and reset the memory. Any ideas? The power supply that I have in it came out of a Dell PC.

If you replace it with the exact one you had before then your windows cd should still work!! If you choose a different mobo then you will need to buy a new windows cd!!!!

And if you buy another emachine-mobo, make sure to get a proper (non-Dell) PSU!
But you'd be better off buying something else altogether (as long as it's not emachine or Dell).

RealBlackStuff said:
Make sure you got ALL cables reconnected properly (incl. the P4-cable if it has an Intel CPU). Reseat memory and any cards you have. Check that all fans are plugged in and working at bootup.
If you got an exact same replacement powersupply, that's your problem.
Emachines are crappy to begin with, and the parts they use are mostly in the same category.
Return that PSU and get a brand-name PSU, such as Forton or Enermax or Antec, with minimum 350W.
Or borrow one like that from a non-emachine PC (or your friendly neighbour) just to be sure.
I recommend what RealBlackStuff said, but if you borrow a different PSU, please be sure it's not a Bestec. If you are looking for a good deal for a PSU, I recommend a Coolmax V-400.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159045

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back