emachine loss of video when in Dos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some Help Please.
I have an emachine 333K etower. I need to use it as a Dos machine only. So I placed my Hard drive from my old 486 into the etower.
Power on and to my amazement it ran and seemed ok. The first problem I had was when I tried to run scandisk and defrag. Just as scandisk is about to finish the screen goes blank. Monitor is a 15'' Mag 468 flat panel. Time to hit the reset button.
From a C: prompt I typed, A: enter with a disk in A: Computer returned A: on the screen. I typed Dir and it displayed the contents of the disk ok. I typed setup and again I get a blank screen, it sounds like the program is running, from the light on drive A: and the sound from my hard drive.
How fast can I push dos 6.22? As long as I stay within the dos data base the etower works great.
Any idea why I am losing the video and and ideas how to solve the problem?

CPU: AMD K6-2 333MHz with 3Dnow! (w/512KB Cache)
Operating System: Dos 6.22
Memory: 32MB SyncDRAM (up to 256MB)
Hard Drive: 500 MB HDD (Ultra DMA EIDE)
Optical Drive: 24x Max.CD-ROM Drive
Video: ATI Rage IIc 3D AGP with 4MB SDRAM
Audio: Crystal CS4235 3D Audio
Network:
Modem: 56K ITU V.90 PCI Fax/Modem
Peripherals: PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse, Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 2 USB Ports (1 is on Front), Audio In & Out / Game Port on Front, 1 Serial / 1 Parallel
Expansion Slots: 3 Expansion Slots

Thanks for your time.

If you removed the drive from another computer with the DOS already installed it may not have the approprite video configuration for your system. You should always install DOS on the machine your useing it on so it can set up the configuration correctly

As long as I stay in the data base program the video is ok.

Thanks for that, I will search for a dos video driver, Pray that it is out on the web.

If it comes down to it. You can reinstall DOS and the system should work.
I have a print server running DOS 6.22 with the following specs.
CPU:AMD K6-2 500mhz
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-5SMM
RAM:256MB PC100
Video:ATI Rage Pro 16mb
HDD:Westerndigital Caviar 20GB 7200rpm.
Optical:16X DVDrom
Sound: Ess integrated sound blaster compatible.
Floppy:3.5" 1.44mb

As you can see this system is very similar to yours and I have 6.22 running from a clean install without any aditional drivers so it should work for you as well.

This is what I am finding:

DOS doesn't employ video drivers, although various applications may include their own for higher resolutions (within the application)

Since video is preconfigured in the OS without the use of drivers you will likely need to reinstall dos so that is configured prperly. sorry I mislead you in a previous post when i said
If you removed the drive from another computer with the OS already installed it may not have the approprite video drivers for your system. You should always install an OS on the machine your useing it on so it can set up the drivers correctly

I ment to say configuration not drivers sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back