EMachine T2085 needs medicine --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello... I am a new member that is not very computer savvy.. looking for you computer experts to put me in the right direction. We recently moved and my Emachine has decided it does not want to work in our new home. We have verified that the outlets are grounded and working, and that all the cables are in good shape and in the right place. When we turn our PC on, the light comes on and you can hear the fan .. a message comes up on the monitor that states: Check your pc and signal cable ... Monitor is working. This message flashes for about 2 mintues.. and then the tower shuts down. Our system operates on Windows XP, but we never get that far. We were not having any problems before the move, and there was no damage to the unit in the move.

Any suggestions, ideas as to what could be wrong?
Thanks..

I think the most likely cause of your problem is that during the move something inside the case came loose, like a cable or something, or maybe your video card.
You could try checking that all cables are securely attached and all expansion cards and ram are fully in their slots. Touch a metal part of the case before you touch any pc components to discharge static, since a static discharge can fry components.

That could be the cause... but... i dont really think if he was careful enough that something got loose... but it could happen... try checking all the cable like vnf said... and try again...

Emachine needs medicine

bree3303 said:
Hello... I am a new member that is not very computer savvy.. looking for you computer experts to put me in the right direction. We recently moved and my Emachine has decided it does not want to work in our new home. We have verified that the outlets are grounded and working, and that all the cables are in good shape and in the right place. When we turn our PC on, the light comes on and you can hear the fan .. a message comes up on the monitor that states: Check your pc and signal cable ... Monitor is working. This message flashes for about 2 mintues.. and then the tower shuts down. Our system operates on Windows XP, but we never get that far. We were not having any problems before the move, and there was no damage to the unit in the move.

Any suggestions, ideas as to what could be wrong?
Thanks..

We have over 100 Emachines in our corporate call center. (which handles Emachines tech support) Every time these units get shipped to us over half of them suffer the same problem you are having. What usually happens is that the processor comes unseated from the socket. If you open it up, touch the metal of the case first. Remove the CPU cooler/heatsink and you will most likely find the processor stuck to the bottom of the heat sink but not in the socket. Carefully put the processor back in, reattach the cooler/heatsink and you should be good to go. Good Luck!

stvben said:
Carefully put the processor back in, reattach the cooler/heatsink and you should be good to go. Good Luck!

Probably a good idea to clean off the old thermal pad and apply some new thermal paste. It's cheap and only takes a second to do.

Back to the original poster, I delivered a computer a few weeks back and after I set it up, same thing you describe. Fans spinning but nothing else going on. I reseated my ram and I was good to go. Something is loose in your system, you just have to find it.

emachines suck!

Folks - I've noticed MANY posts about people with emachines that have issues.

Remember - you get what you pay for. El cheapo price = el cheapo quality....

Emachines are cheap for a reason! They're crap!

eMachines are indeed one of the worst quality machines you can buy, just type emachines in this forum to find that out.. ;)

I wonder... if it is so common for the CPU to simply "fall" out of the socket, then how do they make it from the factory----> to the store----> to the person's house?

when a person moves a computer, they generally will be quite careful with it. but when the machines are shipped... they are not handled too carefully. so how can the CPU remain in the socket during the rough shipping process, but falls out during a careful move?? maybe it's just me, but something doesn't make sense here

Tedster said:
Folks - I've noticed MANY posts about people with emachines that have issues.

Remember - you get what you pay for. El cheapo price = el cheapo quality....

Emachines are cheap for a reason! They're crap!

uhh, dude? I have had three emachines computers since 2001 and never has one failed on me the way that people describe them, yes I will agree that they use lower quality parts. but ppl dont buy these things for high end multi-media, they buy them b/c they want a basic, affordable PC. So i dont know why so many ppl are always complaing about them, i've never had a problem with mine, besides the modem going out in one of them, but i shipped it to emachines, and within a week a new modem was installed and configured free of charge. But for basic stuff (surfing the web, homework for the kids, office apps) they're an increduble value

AMD... you just got lucky... just search emachine in the techspot forums!

Tedster is right... you get what you pay for....

there is no issue from people that buy emachines for basic needs and know that they are
far from high end. the problem comes from people that are surprised that their new eMachine has died!

and since you have had 3 eMachines in the past 5 years you just didn't give them a chance to die yet ;) haha

what do u mean i haven't given it a chance to die yet. around here (ohio) everyone that I know and talk to uses an emachines, and most ppl have nevr had an issue with them. he problems start when ppl try an overclock a celeron or sempron proccessor that came in it and "oops it stopped working, I wonder why?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back