TechSpot

Emachine t2862/windows xp help

By selkies111
Nov 21, 2007
  1. hi everybody, let me first start by saying i'm not very 'tech-savvy' so just bare with me please. ok my son left for college, and left his emachines t2862 desktop at home. i went to start it today and the screen looked like it was in safe mode with horrible graphics. The only application on the desktop is the recycle bin. if someone could please help me it would be so appreciated. thank you so much.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

Hello and Welcome

This is what your eMachines T2862 is made of:

Specifications
    CPU: Intel® Celeron® D 330 Processor
    Operates at 2.66GHz
    256KB L2 cache & 533MHz FSB
    Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home

Chipset: Intel® 845GV chipset
    Memory: 256MB DDR (PC 2700)
    Expandable to 2GB
    Hard Drive: 60GB HDD
    Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
    Media Reader: 8-in-1 digital media manager (USB 2.0, Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
    Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D
    64MB Shared memory
    Sound: AC '97 Audio

Sounds like XP Home is corrupt, or the hard drive is dieing... It is also very possible that the system is past it's useful life, and it will need a new power supply and motherboard soon. It can be totally rebuilt for around $200 if need be, or you can save for a new system

3. selkies111

selkies111 TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok, well my sister just bought a dell laptop with windows vista installed on it, but it also came with a disc, on the disc it says 'only use with dell computers' could i try it and see if it works?

4. Teranius

Teranius TS Rookie Posts: 138

that wont work. he should also have an xp disk somewhere

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.